What Is a Real Man? | Teen Ink

What Is a Real Man?

Doesn’t anyone find it weird that women are always looking for the perfect man and say that they want a real man in their life? They always set a high standard that few men reach and when they think they found a suitable man, they suddenly find that he isn’t the correct one and begin their fruitless searches over again. So, what is a real man?

A real man is not a person who abuses people or animals. I recently saw a news article about a man who beat his child until he bled. That is not a real man. He takes out his frustration on a small child in a manner that should have been dealt with in another way. Sure he needed correcting, but not cruel and unusual punishment. A real man would have gone about this situation differently. He would have to discipline his child, but not physically and emotionally harm him.

A real man is not a person who does illegal actions for kicks and giggles. I hear about so many things at school about how somebody had this party, or had all these drugs. They are mostly men that want more attention. They receive the most attention when they commit illegal actions, act super rude, and act obnoxious; especially when they get caught with these items, or it being in their system. That’s all you ever see on news anymore, people committing illegal actions, harming others and, murder. They all just want attention all the time, no matter what kind of attention it is. But that’s not what a real man would do. He would work his way up for attention the correct way and not strive for the attention of the whole world. 

A real man is a person who treats others right, with fair and equal opportunity. Men who treat others right are rarely recognized for their actions. I looked on multiple news websites, and I didn’t see any articles about good deed that men, or women have even done. All just the negative things in the world, about how people are not being treated right and what could possibly be done for them, yet no one never does enough to solve the problem. They just add it to a list to be solved and then throw the list away. A real man wouldn’t take the time to write an article about how to solve a problem, or what problems we have, he would take what he knows about how to solve the problem and apply it to the problem and not sit around.

Rudyard Kipling said “...If you can wait and not be tired by waiting, Or being lied about, don't deal in lies, Or being hated, don't give way to hating, And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise…” This is what I believe what a real man should strive to be like. Some men in the world, all they do is focus on their looks, how their clothes fit them or what their outfit looks like. I think that this is important at times, like formal events or weddings, but not on a daily basis. It is just a waste of time to worry if your clothes compliment yourself. Some men worry about how smart they are, and how fast they can retort, but that doesn’t matter. Sometimes the best of men are the most unintelligent people in the world. The people who really understand what a real man is are the ones who seem to not know that they are a real man. The people who do the most good, with the least thanks. Other men are impatient like most people in the world. They want everything the second they see it and almost everyone is guilty of this, even me, but there are some very impatient men in the world. My girlfriend had an experience with one of these people. This man came through her line at Walmart and he was obviously in a rush. I guess she wasn’t scanning his items fast enough, making change fast enough because he yelled at her for no reason. Just because he was in a rush to leave Walmart. That is not the making of a true man.

I have heard and seen some of the craziest reasons for what makes a real man. I heard recently that just because a student was wearing a real beard around school, that made him a real man. Something that I saw on a website was that an 82 year old man cuts hair at a local park every Wednesday to homeless people for free. That is what some people consider a real man. Another photo says that real men know how to head boop with kittens.  All of these ideas slightly differ, but all have an opinion of what a real man is, and anyone can argue with those all day. I agree with some and not others, but thats the nature of an opinion. Everyone is bound and entitled to their own opinion of what a real man is, but this is what I think what a real man is.