Are Our Voices Being Heard? | Teen Ink

Are Our Voices Being Heard?

December 10, 2014
By noemysantana SILVER, New York, New York
noemysantana SILVER, New York, New York
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
some infinities are bigger than other infinities


If we don't stand for something,  than we aren’t anything. Violence in ferguson will create a resolution and is an outlet of emotions.This protest is of anger and frustration. A protester in Missouri said, “ I’m tired of being peaceful, i'm tired of being nice.” This shows how people couldn't hold in any more. They were tired of letting things go by. Why are we judged by the color of our skin?


Many destroyed their own community. They are angry. In the video “Violence in Ferguson”, “ many destroyed the police cars through blocks, turning the car over and breaking the windows as a sign of anger and rebellion.” You might say, “why destroy your own community?” Well Ferguson destroyed their community as well by killing an unarmed African American. Did they think we were going to stay peaceful and humble? 


In the video  “power of language,” an African american women wore a shirt that said “Then who  will protects us?” This quote written on this women shirt show  how the people feel unsafe in their community. They are afraid that one day they might have no justice. They fear one day walking down the street and Ferguson cops killing them, they wouldn't be any justice. If this case was in other ways the murder would be facing consequence. If it had been a white kid in Brown’s place, the police officer would have probably been more lenient with him. There is  obviously an issue of race. I personally think that the agreement was not right the trail is just like the Trayvon M trail. No justice for them.  Now how do we change this? By continuing to protest. With violence. Voices ar silent when freedom has acolor. Those who scream "color" are muzzled.Our blackness isn't a weapon. Where theres justice theres peace. If you are silent, you are complicit. Don’t keep calm. Speak up before they carry us all away in a hearse. “Violence never accomplished anything, say people in a country stolen by “murder”, built by “slavery”, and secured by “war.”


The author's comments:

This piece was assigned by my teacher and I decided to share this piece with you. This is my opinion on Ferguson and justice.