The Underlying Issue | Teen Ink

The Underlying Issue

By Josie1099 SILVER, Omaha, Nebraska
Josie1099 SILVER, Omaha, Nebraska

Be careful who you trust, because the devil was once an angel

As a mixed race teenage girl living in the midwest, I should be regarded as an equal correct? In theory, yes I should be, but the reality is that racism is no where near dead. It may be hidden better than it was before, but it is still very much alive. I have noticed that race is a somewhat taboo issue. Realize that I am not one to play the race card, but I can say without a doubt, that racism is still alive. In my city, racism is evident in the way that we live. The vast majority of black people live in the north side of town, the majority of hispanics live in the south side, the east side is stores and stadiums, and the west is everyone else. The north and south are, in general, very poverty stricken and made up of rough neighborhoods. The so called "hood" is only located in north and south sides of town and the north and south sides stereotypically don't like each other. My city has been named the number one city in regards to black on black crime, and named one of the most dangerous cities for a black person to live. Unfortunately that title isn't one hundred percent wrong. A person of color cannot even walk into a store without being followed by a store employee, either with their eyes or physically followed, because they believe that you will try to steal something. I am a relatively well spoken person, so upon meeting people I get many comments such as "you talk white" or "why do you talk white". By presenting myself in an intelligent manner others assume that I want to be white or act white. Intelligence should have nothing to do with race. The point of this story, is to open your eyes to what is going on around you. To help you to realize that there is still a problem that needs correcting. Without addressing this issue it will only get worse, just because it can be an awkward subject doesn't mean that it shouldn't be discussed.