Woman Said, "I Can Do Anything..." | Teen Ink

Woman Said, "I Can Do Anything..."

October 11, 2014
By JosephMadlangbayan BRONZE, Tamuning, Other
JosephMadlangbayan BRONZE, Tamuning, Other
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Virginia Woolf, a woman, an essayist and novelist, once said, “For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.” This is deemed true, to the fact that throughout history women were the background melody in a musical and were the leftovers of war and death. People say that men were the victims of the post-wars that had happened, but what about the women; forced to be behind their counterparts and beaten into minuscule figures as someone of no use. We, as human beings shaped their lives and society has judged and formed them into items instead of treating them as equals. Now we look back into the days where the standards and living conditions were, the way they were treated with their counterparts, and the lasting effects of women that shaped our world.
First of all, we look back into the days were the standards and living of women were. It was a living wherein it was easy for them to nourish their children and get extra money while doing so. It has created many stereotypical comments that are used today. The lives of these women were very easy and basic. The work of these women was basic cleaning, cooking, and sewing. Those simple tasks created and woven into daily lives of people who now inhabit our world. They have paved the way of complex work not associated with household, but are now associated with building which were associated with men. “Because the mother, whom God constituted the first teacher of every human being, has been degraded by men from her high office; or what is the same thing, been denied privileges of education which can enable her to discharge her duty to her children with discretion and effect…”(Editorial from Godey’s Lady’s Book magazine, 1845) . The standards of women were not to read and write, but only nourish the men to be outspoken and punctual and learn many things. It was a secret world in which women were not a part of during this era. The jobs were limited for them and for men it was different possibilities. It allowed for many different protests and formed the women’s suffrage.


After looking into the lives and conditions of these women, we will now see how they were treated with their counterparts. It has been very hard for women to be different from their male counterpart because they were treated as not important objects in society because they could not do what men could do; these tasks were building, inventing, educating, and etc. Some women plea for equal rights and some plea equal rights for those unfortunate. “I proceed, gentlemen, briefly to call your attention to present state of insane person confined within this Commonwealth in cages, closets, cellars, stalls, pens! [They are] Chained, naked, beaten with rods, and lashed into obedience!” (Dorothea Dix to the Massachusetts legislature, report, 1843). Dorothea Dix for example, wanted everyone including the males to see her as an equal counterpart. Her fight was not for her to be treated equal, but for those who need it like that of the mentally insane. She wanted them to have a better living condition and in better care. Women like that should be able to be equal with their counterpart because they dictate and help the lives of others.


Lastly, we will see the lasting effects of the women that shaped our world. We see them in this era as weak characters. In this era they were built only to be criticized by their male counterparts. They were our teachers and the caretakers of great leaders. If those leaders create a voting system their mothers’ should be allowed to vote along with them. If they are not to be counted then what is the use of equality amongst each other. Another way that they influenced in today’s society is the fashion and clothing. The Bloomer costume was one of the most iconic types of fashion women wear to show that they are their own and can stand their ground. The amount of work can shaped also how the woman work around in today’s working environment. Instead of long hours with little salaries, they are now paid equal to their male counterparts; through hard work, dedication, and the hours they commit through their work.


In conclusion, the standards and living conditions of women, the way they were treated, and the lasting effects of women around the world are small factors that contribute in today’s society. The changes of women and how the see the world are now different because now, women get their rights and freedom through equality and perseverance, but can still be questioned as the war for equality rages on.


The author's comments:

This inspired me in my to write this because my U.S. History teacher at that time was talking to us about this. How women then took action and how it will affect the women of today. There is always a spark in a revolution.