Hypocrisy: Prejudice | Teen Ink

Hypocrisy: Prejudice

September 12, 2014
By Anonymous

I hate society. I hate prejudice. I hate lies and I hate hatred. One day you're taught to be a leader, and stand up for what's right. The next you're being told that the mountains of racism and prejudice are impassable, and even more than that, that they shouldn't be crossed.

"Be a leader! Rise up against oppression and fight for what is right," they say.

Then, as if religious and moral concepts had been obliterated whatsoever, they regress,

"We've been around longer, we know of the struggles that come with intermingling with other races and the hardships that would suppress your goals of success," they spit. "You have no right to argue against us; we, the wise and experienced elders of your pitiful generation."

And you say, "But what about rising against adversity? How can a man or woman believe such two conflicting ideas, or moreover, practice these two opposites?"

You would think it's hard go out in the world to confront societal flaws, but in fact it seems harder to simply knock down the multiple door guards in the way.


The author's comments:

I wrote this after I was deeply by disgusted by one of my parent's racial comments during dinner one night.
(Background) this is two years after my parents didn't allow me to go to homecoming with one of my African-Amercian friends.