Dear Legged People This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Dear legged people,
Why do I make you uncomfortable?
Why is it that you look for a way to understand me,
to be with me,
like I’m some kind of equation
that doesn’t seem quite right?

Dear legged people,
I don’t know if you realize this,
but your stares burn through my skin.
They cling to my insides and sizzle,
slowly making bitter what was once
sweet and forgiving.

Dear legged people,
The fact that I’m only as tall
as a five-year-old
doesn’t mean you have to speak to me like one.

Dear legged people,
When did “disability”
and “disabled”
become the same thing?

Dear legged girls who wish they had a thigh gap,
If I had your legs
I would flap those babies together
with every step.

Dear legged people,
Yes, I have a job.
Being alone in a wheelchair is not a novelty.
I am not a novelty.

Dear legged guy who told me I inspire you,
I don’t quite understand what you mean.
You’re inspired by the fact that I’m having coffee?

Dear legged people,
Has society come to a place where so little
is expected from wheelchaired people?

Dear legged people,
I am not here to inspire you.

Dear legged people,
I am more disabled by a society
that sells disability like handouts
to make you feel better about your lives
than by my body.

Dear legged people,
Quit expanding the differences
between me and you.
Our lives are not as different as they seem.
I should know.
I was once
one of you.

WriteFreakThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 13 at 4:16 pm
This is incredible. It truly shows how stupid our society is, and how much we don't understand.

Elysium This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:14 am
This is honestly the best poem I have read on teen ink. Wow, society is idiotic, we tend to oversympathize with people who are different in any way to a point where they seem like aliens...it's annoying. This poem is so sassy i love it so much

AleMarquez This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Thank you Elysium!!! That means a lot, I'm glad you like it! And I know, although people's intentions are good, oversympathizing is very annoying. But the more people aware of it, the more they begin to treat people with any differences, like what they are: normal. 

TravelerenRouteThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow. This is very inspiring. It was captivating.

Mckay This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Captivating as well as thought-provoking. Society does have a tendency to be over "sympathetic" with things it doesn't understand: people with disabilities, people of different race, se.xual orientation, etc. I enjoy the candidness: it's furnished with brash somewhat-cynical sass. Well done. Congrats on the Editors' Choice. 

Jun. 30, 2014 at 12:12 am
Thank you for the comment! I checked out some of your poems, and I've got to say you're an incredible writer!! 

Bella13 said...
Wow! I don't know how you thought of this poem... But I added it to my favorites and it's totally five star worthy! Keep up the work!! :D

Thank you so much, I'm honored :)

HudaZavery said...
This is honestly such a beautiful and inspirational poem! I cant describe how thankful I am that you wrote about this topic. Very well done! 

Thank you for taking the time to read it!

ChrisJ This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is a fantastic poem. I love how your questions remain unflinching in nature, meant to provoke thought without sugar coding the ignorance of society. Job well done, definitely 5/5 from me! 

Thank you so much ChrisJ, this means a lot! I read some of your poems also: my favorite ones are Feast and Heartless. Great job!!