Abusing Government Benefits | Teen Ink

Abusing Government Benefits

By THEfluffyPigeon3 BRONZE, Oswego, Illinois
THEfluffyPigeon3 BRONZE, Oswego, Illinois

The welfare system and the unemployment insurance benefits may seem the same, but they are different on who they affect. The unemployment insurance benefit program helps by giving and income to people who were laid off or fired for no means. The program gives the person 50 to 60 percent of their past income, but while receiving the benefits, the person needs to be actively searching for jobs. The welfare system is different though; it benefits families and single adults with low-income jobs. The welfare system only pays the benefits depending on the household income and the people receiving the benefits also need to be looking for jobs. The government runs into a problem when people start to abuse these systems and start living off the payments.

To begin, the part of the system where people start getting upset with it is when people start to live off the welfare and unemployment benefits. This means that some unemployed people don’t look for jobs, but just keep collecting the payments from the government. And the government money comes from employees paying taxes. So every time people abuse the system more employees get mad and need to pay more taxes.

Another problem associated with unemployment is homelessness. There are over 600,000 people in America with out homes to sleep in every night. The unemployment rate of January 2014 was 6.6%, most of these unemployed people are impoverished and maybe homeless. If the unemployment rate continues then the homeless and poverty rate will continue rising as well. This would then proceed to more people becoming impoverished and applying for welfare and unemployment benefits, which lead to employees paying more taxes. Causing more people to get mad, which is where all the problems start.

Also, there were about 108,592,000 people receiving some sort of government benefits in 2011. There were about 101,716,000 people with full time jobs for all year. So about 6,876,000 people have either only have part time jobs or are unemployed that employees are paying for. If this number grows and larger, the U.S will go into even larger debt, causing much more angry employees and people criticizing the government.

To conclude, the welfare and unemployment benefits are both very good and beneficial to the country and its people. The only problem is when people start to abuse it and live off the benefits. The people who abuse these systems need to be punished and exposed for there abusive actions. There has to be a stop to the abusing of the benefit systems.