Legalizing Gay Marriage | Teen Ink

Legalizing Gay Marriage

By ArarTenisee BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
ArarTenisee BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

Should African-American rights be revoked? Should women’s rights be revoked? Why should it be problem when it come to gay marriage? Gay marriage should be legalized across the United States. Opinions holding back this epidemic are: restrictions by religion, acception by society, and civil rights.

Gallup politics states that 77% of Americans identify themselves as Christians. Christians tend to protest same-sex marriage claiming that Jesus had said that marriage should be between one man and one woman. What they are referring to is Mark 10:2-12, where Jesus objected the practice of men getting rid of embarrassing wives by handing them a certificate of divorce. Jesus had never addressed the subject of homosexuality, other than loving and accepting everyone, especially the distressed and those who were considered unclean. Known as America the brave, but still we fear something as simple as change. “God loves all his children”is somehow forgotten because we paraphrase a book written thirty-five hundred years ago.

“All men are created equal” said the third president of the United States, Thomas Jefferson. With this being said, all men should be treated as equals. In 1964, The Civil Rights Act ended all state and local laws requiring segregation. In 1920, after the ratification of the 19th Amendment, women gained rights. We, as a nation, should now see that we are all just as good as the next person. As Americans, we all have the freedom of speech and the freedom of free exercise.

Everyone wishes to be accepted by society, and everyone deserves to be accepted by society. Children shouldn't get bullied and taunted in school for being themselves, or even for their relatives sexual orientation .They should feel safe walking down the halls knowing they aren't being stared at for who they are or even being talked down upon. Adults should have a fair chance at a job no matter the gender of their spouse or significant other. Even things as simple as going to a movie, out to eat, or buying groceries shouldn't be a hassle. People should feel safe and welcomed into their home town and feel that they are equal to everyone else.

As a nation, we need to overcome these religious obstacles, and societies toll. African- American rights shouldn't be revoked, nor should women’s, so why should gays? We all have a right to equality, so gay marriage should be legalized in the United States. Known as America the brave, we fear change, even though it may be for the better.