The Quest for Equality | Teen Ink

The Quest for Equality

By LeaderoftheInnerCircle SILVER, Okeechobee, Florida
LeaderoftheInnerCircle SILVER, Okeechobee, Florida

"We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone." - Orson Welles

"We are all equal in the United States."

That phrase is a complete and absolute lie.

If we are all truly equal here in the United States, then the rich should not get tax breaks while the poor pay all of their own taxes and more. If we are truly equal, then women should not be paid less than men. If we are truly equal, then there should be complete marriage equality on every inch of American land. If we are all truly equal, then the powerful should not classify people into groups and discriminate against the poor while aiding the rich. Unfortunately, none of the above qualities of equality are currently completely in place in the U.S. In this supposedly great country of ours (which was just days from causing a world catastrophe on October 16th), many people see each other as equal. The problem is, the powerful, the rich, and a multitude of commoners do not see everyone as equal. I would like to convince anyone reading this that complete equality should be in place in the U.S., anytime, anywhere, everywhere, and for anyone and everyone.

Equality is what people have been fighting for since the very beginning of our country. It started with women, who fought for suffrage and overall equality, then went on to minority groups, who demanded equality in the law and in the general public, and now, the LGBT community is fighting for marriage equality and other rights, and will later try for complete social equality. Many other groups of people will surely follow. Women will lead a movement for equal pay. Those who are poverty-stricken will fight to have the minimum wage raised so they can live a life where they can properly feed themselves and their family, just like anyone else. We minorities will once again lead movements when we are discriminated against yet again (which will certainly happen). When the white population becomes just another minority in 2050, a major milestone in our fight will have been achieved, but it will not be over. Just like any war being fought against anything, there will always be remnants of the enemy's side left, and they will continue being the malevolent forces that caused the initial conflict. It is a vicious cycle, hindered only by the combined efforts of many individuals trying to stop it. Inequality will never truly be wiped from the face of this planet; barbarian qualities will still exist in those who choose to fuel and obey them. No matter what happens, the struggle for complete equality will be undertaken by people of every race, gender, age, sexual orientation, social class, and history, and we will do it in every way, shape, and form. Even though all of us will die knowing our goal was not reached, we will end satisfied that we contributed somehow to an equality movement of some kind, knowing we somehow caused a change in someone else, subsequently affecting the world.

Equality is the basis of the United States Constitution and its amendments. The Constitution includes many clauses stipulating equality: the first section's clauses demand equality between every member of the legislature and between its two houses. The second's set the requirements to be the President, being broad enough to be equal, and make every vote for an elected official equal. Section four makes all the states equal under the federal government and between each other. Section seven constitutes that every state needed to pass the Constitution had to ratify it in the same way (I think). Seventeen amendments to the Constitution clearly state their effect is equal on all those affected. The topics range from freedom of religion, speech, and expression ("...or the right of the people peaceably to assemble..."), the right to a speedy and fair trial ("...by an impartial jury..."), and rights on citizenship ("...No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws....), to suffrage for women ("...the right of citizens...to vote shall not be denied...on account of sex..."), African Americans ("...on account of race [or] color..."), some adults, specifically young adults serving in the military ("...The right of citizens... who are eighteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied... on account of age..."), and those who are poor ("...The right of citizens...to vote...shall not be denied...by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax..."). Considering the sheer amount of legislature passed that constitutes equality, it does not truly exist in its full form where it should. Mississippi did not ratify the amendment allowing woman suffrage until 1984, 64 years after it went through Congress! That example alone should show how little progress was made in the South during that time (what a shame to my culture). There are millions more, big and small, modern and even more modern, here and there, and they mostly go unnoticed. Although these portions of law clearly stipulate equality, the problem is people do not heed the law. It is not my part to expose inequality, as that is left to others, but to convince you that it should be stopped by a change in yourself, if you have not been pulled over to the equality side already. I sincerely hope that we commoners follow the law and embrace equality, because any other action will lead to the eventual demise of our not-so-great, but still holding on, country.

I also sincerely hope you will follow the worn and renewed path to equality so many others are currently taking. I hope you have seen what an injustice inequality is to everyone. I hope you are ashamed of anything you have done that discriminated against anyone or segregated anyone (as am I). Most of all, I hope you gain the tenacity to join the fight for equality, if you have not done so already.