Respect & Religion | Teen Ink

Respect & Religion

By claireaffair SILVER, McDonough, Georgia
claireaffair SILVER, McDonough, Georgia

“I’ve never had an original thought in my life…and there’s tons of people on the internet happy to tell me just that.” -Shepard Fairey (Creator of OBEY Propaganda)

"The duty of the youth is to challenge corruption." -Kurt Cobain

Sitting in my US History class today I found myself in yet another awkward, self-inflicted situation. It is not unusual for me to be quick to speak and slow to think but today’s outburst had a purpose.
My history teacher compiles power points for each unit complete with main points of discussion and comical pictures to help us associate the term with a meaning. During our discussion of the Oregon and Mormon Trails our teacher flipped to a slide titled “Mormons”. Below the title was a picture taken from the Internet of five wedding cake toppers: 1 groom and 4 brides. Mischievous smiles and giggles permeated the room as the picture flashed on screen. In disbelief, I impulsively said “Polygamy is not a part of Mormonism today.” My terse comment may have been uncalled for but my teacher appropriately replied, “We’ll get there in a minute” and silence swept the room.
I personally am not a Mormon but I have witnessed a friend who is Mormon be bombarded with clichéd and ignorant questions such as “Does your mom wear jean skirts?” and “How many wives does your father have?”
Likewise, as a Christian I have experienced the callowness of others who form opinions and beliefs derived from what they see and hear through media. Constant media coverage of the Westboro Baptist Church’s ardent actions and sparse beliefs has steadily contributed to a rebirth of assumptions and stereotypes. It is difficult for me to discount that such small group can impact an entire denomination’s reputation.
Stereotypes are often a result of being misinformed or not at all. All Christians do not hate the gays. Atheists do not worship the devil. And the Church of Mormon does not practice polygamy.
Even though my teacher later made it a point to explain that polygamy is no longer a part of Mormonism, I stated in class what I did to prevent misconceptions from forming. I may have spoken too soon; however, I stood firm in my belief that respect for people and what they believe is of utmost importance. I advocate becoming informed before forming opinions. Nevertheless, you do not have to understand everything about a person’s beliefs to show common courtesy.
We are all humans and have been fearfully and wonderfully created by God, Allah, Yahweh, Science, or out of thin air if that’s what you believe. We are entitled to our beliefs and we are entitled to respect.
Respect is universal and impartial. It begins with an educated understanding and ends with the realization that no two people are the same.