Inequality | Teen Ink

Inequality

By LeaderoftheInnerCircle SILVER, Okeechobee, Florida
LeaderoftheInnerCircle SILVER, Okeechobee, Florida

"We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone." - Orson Welles

In this horrible, horrible world of ours, there is no such thing as real equality. It is all based off of your wealth or your family's power. Although it is a hotly contested fact of life, it is absolutely true that someone with more money can get more done than someone without it. A rich person cannot be convinced by someone with drastically lower monetary value to support a cause or voice an idea or even to do something as simple as helping another below them. This is not what our great country of the United States was founded on. "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness...". A staggering majority of Americans would now add "...and women..." to this excerpt without hesitation, and an equal majority would easily defend that this statement extends to all, regardless of race, ethnicity, or religion. We have made considerable progress in those areas, but the most important, those that remain even with supposed complete equality, are the areas concerning social status and social equality. We have made little progress with that. The aforementioned fact of life still applies, even after more than 230 years have passed.

What can we do about it? We, those on the very bottom, who are poverty-stricken, can do little about it. Within our rank, we are equal. Very few of us have talents or extraordinary abilities, and next to zero can or know how to use them. Our voices mean nothing. Those in the middle class can speak out and vote, but rarely do, and even when they do, they are easily ignored by most of the affluent scum who care only for themselves. It takes many voices, rising in unison, from all ranks of people to convince any large entity, especially one as selfish as the higher class, or one as ignorant as our government, to get anything done. Yet, very rarely do our voices make an impact. It all comes down to 535 people.

Those 535 people fight with each other constantly bickering about this and that and those and these. They are the highest class of people, they are infamous for corruption, and rarely will you find a lawmaker who actually cares for his or her people. These lowlifes focus on degrading each other to keep earning their $174,000 a year salary, ignoring the actual needs and wants of their constituents to "fight" for what they "believe" is right- what their political party says is right. How does this have anything to do with equality? It has tons to do with equality. These congressmen and congresswomen run our country, yet they don't listen to its citizens! They run this country so they can keep getting paid! They steal money from the government when 174 grand a year isn't enough! How is this possible? In this advanced, forward-looking society of ours, one class rules everything, while the others have literally no power! All we get to do is elect the supposedly least horrible candidates. Yet, even they turn out to be cretins! It's a continuous cycle of inequality, oligarchy, and politics that is unbreakable. The very few of those who are rich and listen to those below them don't run for office, or are shot down by their scum of competitors who have "support" by the people (also known as bribery). Those in the middle class can't drum up support because they don't have the money or time to leave work or their families to possibly get elected. Of course, those in the lower class have no money, no voice, and therefore no power. This leads back to the question of "What could we possibly do?"

We change our ways, we sacrifice all that is possible, and we give our endless devotion to change and reform, but because those at the top only care about themselves, nothing ever changes. What we can do is raise our voices higher, make our actions bolder, and continue fighting for equality. We can hope. We can dream. Unfortunately, the ignorant at the top don't care. All we can do is hope our "leaders" will change, because we have already changed as much as possible.

I live at the bottom. I've had to experience the worst of inequality, and I'd like to speak out about it, to inspire someone to help and join in the cause. But, of course, I need loads of people to support equality, and I'm not going to get anything done with a small group of people.