Who I Am, and Will Always Be | Teen Ink

Who I Am, and Will Always Be

As I look into the mirror, I see a girl who hides behind her hair. I see a young woman who cries because her father beats her, and I see a small child hiding in her closet. I watch as this girl grows up and becomes colder. Maybe even more distant from those around her.
I'm lost within her blue eyes. Eyes so blue that I swear they hold the sea within them. And I'm lost. Long strips of hair hide bruises and tears as this girl touches the mirror, leaning forward.
I look at the girl who is on the other side of the mirror look at me.
Then I realize, this girl must be me.
As a light breeze goes through the room, she shivers and her hair is pushes back to reveal larger hand marks across her collar bone, chin, and cheeks.
As she see's this in the mirror, her body shudders, remembering the night before. A drunken father, grabbing her up and smacking her fiercely.
But in her eyes I see a light flame, growing brightly as she wipes her tears away.
She ties her hair back into a sloppy bun and lifts her sleeves to reveal more bruises.
But she smiles.
"If this is who I am meant to be and suffer for, so let it be. I will not cry anymore."
And her smiled stayed there.
Because guess what? She no longer cries, but instead, she did something about it. And that girl is now a great journalist, telling other young girls her story.
She is stronger now.

I wanted to write something different, so instead of making this story about myself, I created a different character and gave her my life.