Goody Goody

For me, fitting in has never been easy. I’ve always been the “perfect” student, or the one kid who’s always prepared in class with multiple pens and pencils. I’ve got a straight "A" record, and almost never slip and forget my homework. I’m not athletic, and I’ve tried and failed with music. I've never felt like I belonged with friends because I was just so different. My grades, well, they’re pretty much all I’ve got. So of course I nurture them and make sure they don’t fall too far, because without them, I am nothing.

After a while of being who I was on the inside and out, the whispers and stares became so unbearable that I changed all together, to a more “modern” style. That’s right: short shorts (and I mean REALLY short shorts), over the shoulder, bra-strap-showing shirts, and over priced shoes that don’t hold up for more than a year. I parted my hair on the side and grew it out, and started to pluck my eyebrows and wear makeup. I would only use certain brand-name products. I was no longer the happy, carefree, little girl I used to be. I became expensive, and moody, and picky over every single detail in how I looked.

Finally, after a year of touch ups and unnecessary fixes, I felt like I fit in. I looked like everyone else, and truly believed that this was that yellow brick road paved in sunshine and happiness. Only, after all those years of perfect grades, I can’t believe I didn’t figure it out.

I didn’t act like one of “those” girls at all. I still kept up with school, and worried about being too revealing with my clothing. I didn’t want to get detention, or get in trouble. People started to notice that I was kind and respectful of everyone else’s opinions and ideas. I hated that annoying, over exaggerated drama, and wasn’t very interested in hanging out in coffee shops and shopping everyday after school.

Soon enough, word got around that I was a goody goody. Upon hearing this from a close friend, who even agreed, tears had welled up in my eyes. I didn’t want people to think badly of me, and I had gone through becoming someone I wasn’t for nothing. I was different, and human! So why couldn’t I just blend in with the crowd?

I realize that I had never really changed. Yes, I looked completely different on the outside, but luckily I had never changed on the inside. So I’m back to square two.

I’m not standing at square one because I have still kept some of what I gained. I have been more self conscious about what I wear, which is kind of a shame, but it’s okay to be aware of what looks best on you. I have become more of an outgoing person, as well. I’ve grown into a bigger, better person from the experience.

If I were you? Save yourself the tears and be who you are, because nobody can change that. Don’t worry about what other people think. I mean, that only created more problems and double the stress for me.

Looking back , I have just one more thing to add:

Yes, I’m a goody goody. And I’m proud.

catwithglassesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 28, 2013 at 10:43 am:
Wow, this article has a great message in it! I loved it. It was fantastic!

Isibeal19This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Sept. 16, 2013 at 4:18 pm :
Haha thanks catwithglasses! This happened in sixth grade so...I am so glad I moved past it.