Freedom, Rights, Liberty | Teen Ink

Freedom, Rights, Liberty

March 17, 2013
By RohitMathew SILVER, Elmont, New York
RohitMathew SILVER, Elmont, New York
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.
























- Steve Jobs


On July 4th, 1776, the Colonial States, at that time, gained its independence from the conquering England. After many years of protest and war, the people received what they wanted. This independence was for all people. It did not matter if you were white or black. A right is a right gained for all people. When the United States was starting to rise, many laws were made and were later implemented onto the United States constitution. What are found in the Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution are inalienable rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. This is a note that promised everyone many rights, but sadly those rights were not given to everyone, especially the African-Americans who had to protest again to receive their rights back.

In the 1950’s – 1960’s, there was a man that came up as an instrumental force in the Civil Rights Movement. His name was Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. As a civil rights activist, he protested peacefully. Why did this happen is a question that arises in many minds. In the southern portion of the United States, otherwise known as the Confederate States, there was racial segregation. There was so much seperation within colored people and white people. It even came to the point where people of the same gender had to use different restrooms. How discriminative this is. Many have heard about the story of Rosa Parks. She was forced to give up her seat to a white man and because she did not, she was put into jail. For people that are giving rights, the rights are just being provoked by those who institute the law. This is why one great leader rose and lead the way for those people whose rights have been taked away.
Because of Martin Luther’s courage and hope, he was able to accomplish what he was intended to do. We all now live in a country of peace and equality for all. All people such as Hispanics, Africans, Italians, French, and much more now live in a country with inalienable rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Diversity should not be the key to separation but rather a key to unification.