Isn't It Just Hair? | Teen Ink

Isn't It Just Hair?

By PinkZebras SILVER, Ventnor, New Jersey
PinkZebras SILVER, Ventnor, New Jersey

Not everyone is the same, nor is everyone is different.
Evil Hearts Take All Souls; its the thought that counts, not the end result.

Most guys have short hair.

Most girls have long hair.

I was sick of the black girl, nappy hair look I was going through I could not go to the hair salon to get my hair straightened anymore because of recent problems. I was sick and tired of feeling like I was walking around school with a messy "poof" as some of my friends had called it, so why do I feel like it was a mistake?

After a nice weekend with my aunt (2/23-24/13) I bought a razor, the kind you would only see in the hands of a barber at the Dollar Store. It was $12 and totally calling me. For a couple of months I've been wanted to shave my head. It was something different and it will always grow back. Who cares. It would just be memory I would think about in ten years and laugh at.
With the razor I walked straight into the bathroom when my aunt dropped me off. I didn't even take my jacket off. I plugged it in then sneeze. That''s how all of the hair on the right side of my head came off. I could definitely not go back by that point.

I just shaved off the rest of my hair and stuck it in a plastic bag. All of it..poof..was off. I started to cry- not in an "I totally wish I was stupid enough to do that" type of way, but in "Omg I can't believe I did it, I'm SO happy!" Kind of weird.

I have two type of friends: 1)the clique who makes fun of everything in sight and most likely would be expelled from school and I'm always fighting with, and 2) the preppy straight A friends that never fight. It's obvious who I received a mouth full from. Once I walked in school the so called "friends" (1) I have were laughing and the rest of the school stared, complimented me, or touch my head.I knew I was going to hear people talk about my head so if I knew the talking was going to exasperate me I wouldn't of shaved me hair. But it's just a tad upsetting when your closest friends is ignoring you because he thinks I'm "changing" and I'm "weird" and "the only girl I have seen with their head shaved was Britney Spears." Just a little hurtful.
In other countries girls can't even show their hair, but people are bagging on the insignificant hair they cannot see. Some people are really and truly naive, narrow-minded, jerks in my opinion.

It has been six days since I shaved my head and people still stare. I mean come-on. Guys shave their heads everyday and no one stares or touches it or says it's weird, but once I do it, it's like the Apocalypse is happening right in front of everyone who sees me. It is not like I'm the only female ever to shave their heads for a personal look or reason, but it feels like it. I mean hair, I shave it off everywhere else, why not my head. Who made up this silent rule that in the 21st century or in any century, all women need long hair or hair at all. A lot of guys have long hair but are supposed to have short hair. And people at school don't even know why I shave it, they just think I'm a freak. What if I had cancer. No one knows why nor will they. Its funny how something personal for you can turn other people on you because they don't approve. I thought this was America, the Land of the Free of something. Is hair really worth that much? Isn't it just hair?

It is probably going to grow about three inches by the summer. I don't care a bit about what everyone says about my head, as long as what I do makes me happy.

An I still have the shaved hair tucked away in a plastic bag. :)

Certain things are never worth as much as they seem.

PinkZebras SILVER, Ventnor, New Jersey

Thank you for commenting. And you are so right. All of my friends that had something to say were black, and you would think they would understand. All I can do is ignore them and do my own thing. And I would totally look at your poems.  :)

theatregirl PLATINUM, Lathrup Village, Michigan

"To thine own self be true," -from Hamlet, a play by Shakespeare.
"I have sworn on the altar of god eternal hostility against all forms of tyranny over the mind of man." - Thomas Jefferson

This a great article. I know how you feel. I wore an Afro for about 6 month and I got a lot of mix of both negative and positive feed back about. Plus, the thing was that the people who made fun of most where people of my own race. Know I have this short individual braid style that I like. It is good compromise because it allow me to have natural hair and not have to keep straightening it. It refreshing to new about an African American women making their choose about their hair, becuase many African American women are Afraid of wearing their hair anyways but permed straight. It brave you made your own choice. Keep writing.(hey, could you maybe look some of my poems ?)