Voice of the Unspoken

I don't know how else to prove myself to others. I don't know if I even have to. I may not know exactly where I'll be in a few years, but I will graduate high school. I may not speak in the most proper tones or best grammar usage, but I am still heard. I may not make the greatest decision when I have the chance, but its my business anyways. I may be Native American, but that doesn't mean I take part in a "Rain dance." My tribe may have a casino, but that doesn't mean I'm rich. My rez may not have a fantastic reputation, but that doesn't mean you'll get shot once you're on it. I've heard it all before. And as a young teen apart of her Native American community, I can assure what is right and wrong that people assume about my kind. The nicest comments aren't always shared to me and I can do nothing more than explain myself. It's getting so old to be doubted or looked down upon because of where I come from or who I am. I would argue to protect us from those who would continuously speak bad of us, but its annoying. I'm growing up wondering when will everyone else. Wondering when people will speak nothing of Indians without any form of knowledge or consideration. I'm tired of explaining myself the truths about us, and quite frankly I don't feel that I even need to.