Dear Peers This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Dear Peers,

I used to look up to you. I used to try to get your attention. I used to want to fit in by wearing weird clothes and listening to all the lies you’d tell me. I used to laugh at jokes that weren’t funny. I used to let you copy off my tests. I used to want to be like you.

Dear Peers,

I used to get very upset when you started a rumor about me. I used to cry about it. I used to try to defend myself. I used to raise my voice, and when you didn’t listen, it would ruin my day.

Dear Peers,

I used to get angry when you cursed at me, when you cornered me and made up lies. I used to get mad when I walked into class and saw your scowls. I used to curse you back.

Dear Peers,

I used to hate the way you looked at me, as though I was less than you. I hated the way you talked about my ethnicity. It wasn’t funny. I used to insult you under my breath for being so narrow-minded. I used to tell the teachers and you’d call me a snitch.

Dear Peers,

I used to ignore what you said to me. I used selective hearing, which you called a “big word.” I stopped listening to your senseless language, without meaning, without dignity. I stopped watching you stoop lower and lower for your own self-satisfaction. And I opened my eyes.

Dear Peers,

I used to feel sorry for you. I felt bad because you couldn’t see the meaning in everything, in the little things, and in the things that mattered the most. No, you only saw dating, clothes, cliques, and texting as life, as fun, as a future. It broke my heart.

Dear Peers,

I used to laugh at you. I thought it was so funny how you would make fun of me for getting an A while you got an F. I used to spaz at the way you still couldn’t read the word complementary in the seventh grade and how you would throw library books in the garbage can. I used to smile when you talked about how great your seventh boyfriend was. And, I’ll admit, I still laugh now.

Dear Peers,

Feel free to say what you want. Feel free to do what you want. Go ahead! Make up a rumor about my secret ­Internet boyfriend. Tell everyone I’m a retard who thinks the whole world is made up of textbooks and teachers. Throw paper balls at my head while I’m reading. Shoot me with pieces of buttered bagel at lunch. And then tell me what you got out of that. Superiority? Was it fun? Do you think I’m suddenly dumber now? Has my smile gotten duller? Does my family love me any less? Did my teachers stop appreciating having me in their classes? Did I lose any inspiration? Well … I’m ­waiting.

Exactly.

sparkie said...
I LOVE THIS <3 it reminds me of what people do at my school. keep writing. you're going to change the world in ways people wouldn't think is possible. keep it up!! this is amazing!

Awesomeninja said...
Nov. 23, 2011 at 11:17 am:
This is awesome! Love the way its written :D

forgottenpennameThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 23, 2011 at 7:32 am:
Amazing!! I absolutely love this. :)

matador said...
This is AWESOME!!! I like love it!!!

irishlass317 said...
Awesome!!! I love it!!!!!

ZetoniThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Nov. 22, 2011 at 9:56 am:
I am speachless! You are amazing!:D

sarahmichelle98 said...
Nov. 22, 2011 at 7:15 am:
oomg eaxctly how i feel!!! i try to tell my bestfriend all this type of stuff, so it wont matter what "those opoulAr people" think but she doesnt understand. ill have her read this<3

ADifferentKindOfPrincess said...
This is absolutley amazing. I used to feel like that all the time. I seriously dreaded going to school!

Kidlet This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 31, 2011 at 9:32 am:
I love it. :)

mightierthanthesword said...
Oct. 31, 2011 at 9:06 am:
Nicely done! Good use of anaphora to drive the point home. Very relatable. I think we've all been there at one point or another, and you have done an absolutely beautiful job of summing it up into a tidy work of art!

clumsyteardropper said...
Oct. 30, 2011 at 11:52 am:
ooooohhhh snappp!!!  I LOVE the way that you slowly begin to tell them off. and putting a mirror in front of  them, so that they exactly what there is to be seen of them, you know what I'm saying?  amazingly well done. :)

clumsyteardropper replied...
Oct. 30, 2011 at 11:53 am :
i mean "see" exactly what is to be seen of them. :P  again, great work!

Scarlett_Fever945 said...
Loved the originality in the formatting of this. It was touching too, good use of language

Jessica G. said...
Wow. This really summed up how I think many of us feel. Very well written and very true. Just phenomenal. I love it.

Pumpkinscout said...
Good writing and a good point too. Nice job!

lzcelloplayerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Oct. 9, 2011 at 7:03 am:

Wow! I'm really glad that you wrote this piece! I think a lot of teens can really benefit from this. I'm proud that you knew just how to be yourself! 

I also like the letter format! 

Congrats on getting it published in the magazine! 

:D

Inkslinger said...
This is awesome!

Clear_Skies said...
This is great! I love the last paragraph. It definitely deserves to be in the magazine.

Emmyluwho said...
Wow, that was amazing. I've been called "Nerd" my whole life and I've come to embrace the title. Seriously- what's so wrong about being....different?

dreamgazer12 said...
Jul. 20, 2011 at 1:19 pm:
Wow I want to post this on every door in my school, and put my name under it.