Racism: What Good is There? | Teen Ink

Racism: What Good is There?

By brellen98 BRONZE, Zanesville, Ohio
brellen98 BRONZE, Zanesville, Ohio

Because when you stop and look around this life is pretty amazing ❤

In this day and time there are a lot of problems in our world, but there is on problem that concerns me the most: racism.
Racism is a six letter word that has changed many lives. It's a word that everyone thinks is just a “word”; but really it is so much more. It is something that has hurt people, killed people, sent people to jail, and numerous other things.
Today I want to focus on what racism is, what it can do, and how we can prevent it.

Most people believe that only certain races (mainly whites) are racist, but that's not true. Anyone can be racist if they choose to be.

What is racism?

Racism: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race; prejudice or discrimination directed against someone of a different race based on such a belief.

Racism isn't just looking down on someone because of their race or ethnic. It's making yourself think that you are superior, and have a right to treat people anyway you want.

Why are people racist?
Although this is somewhat of a difficult question to answer, I know I can't possible the only one that has asked myself this. Many people say that people have said that they have a reason to hate a different race; but what is that reason? Because they have lighter skin, or have darker skin. No, there is no legitimate reason to be racist. I believe people are racist because they're afraid of things they don't understand, and are afraid to confront the way they feel. Subconsciously, they know they're wrong but they simply can't face that. So they become angry. And since they'll never take that anger out on the real problem, which is their ignorance, they take it out on what they perceive the problem is (other races).

I've heard people say “oh, they don't know any better”, but people DO know better than that. Think about it; how would they feel if someone acted racist towards them and put them down? I believe this is where we should apply “the golden rule”. You know, the one you learned in kindergarten. “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.” If people can't understand that, then let me break it down for you: If you wouldn't like it to be done to you, don't do it to someone else. It's that simple.

In the end it all comes down to your moral self. Morally are you going to stand back while someones becomes the target of racist remarks, or are you going to stand up and take a stand for what's right? Morally, do you have enough in you to stand up to people and tell them racism is wrong? Consider how you would feel if it was happening to you, and what you would want others to do.