What more can the media do to degrade women?!

I was looking at a magazine yesterday, and i found myself thinking-what if i was that size? Would i be as beautiful as her? Could i find a really hot boyfriend? And now when i look back on what i was thinking, i have to say, what WAS i thinking?
I am a beautiful person, and although i could never be a model because i am a bigger girl, due to being an athlete, i realize that every woman is beautiful in her own special way! Maybe someone has amazing eyes, or another woman has a pretty smile- why do we have to be supermodel beautiful to think that we ARE beautiful?
The media has gotten worse than it has ever been, showing models looking models that look more like stick-figures than the curvy models of the 80's- like Brooke Shields! Media! Please give us a break!
All the pictures we see are constantly nagging us into anorexia and it is not fair that we have to put up with this!
I certainly don't feel the greatest when i go shopping- it doesn't give me the pleasure it used to... i was naive once, and sizes never mattered as long as i thought the clothes were cute. But that's out the window now- all i can think about is how much looking at double 00's make me sick- and even sicker because i realize i want to be that size. And it's not healthy to be that size anyway-
so for now i'm going to pat myself on the back for eating what i want to and when i want to- and i'm going to love every muscle and curve of my body! I think every other woman should, too!

fatchance96 said...
Your article is really nice and I am really happy for you to get back at life like that! You did something a lot of people, teens especially, around the globe would probably struggle with doing. Something like that could really turn your world upside down, couldn't it? :)

Lauryn P. replied...
yes, i struggled with loving myself for a very long time, and then i took the time to remember i AM beautiful and HEALTHY! THAT is what is important.

bubblygurl76 said...
I agree with this almost completely. I just wanted to point out, though, that not all 00 size girls are unhealthy, because I'm one of them. I checked my BMI, I'm perfectly normal. :)

Lauryn P. replied...
Okay, i apologize; some people naturally have that body type, but it's not out of the norm for you to be that skinny. If you got it, flaunt it! :)

SecretNonConformist said...
i am not a stick figure and for awhile i thought i was simply one word. fat.  this really hit home with me because of that. now i love my curves and muscles and actually am happy i dont have the stick figure body everyone is trying for.

Lauryn P. replied...
Being skinny is completely different from being healthy! We all have different body types and its time we embrace them! Love your body and buy clothes tailored to how you are made, not how the media wants you to look...respect yourself :)

ChocolateEyes07 said...
i know exactly what you mean, i have the same kinda issue. i'm always so insecure about my body because i see other's that are skinnier or prettier than me. however i'm not like way over weight, its just that sometimes seeing the super skinny girls make me feel like i am over weight. I'm still trying to get comfortable in my own skin and the media isn't helping! aha

Lauryn P. replied...
sso sorry i didn't reply sooner! its been soooo long since i've been on, but i truly believe the media is complete B.S! YOU are beautiful in your own way, and remember, "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent"- Eleanor Roosevelt :)

elvinchangling55 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Very true!!! the media has abnormal expectations. this subject such be emphasized more, it might help some women feel better about themselves.

Racheal K. said...
Totally true.

SydVicious said...
AMEN TO THAT SISTER!