Review: Gender Politics | Teen Ink

Review: Gender Politics

October 18, 2012
By Bre3xin BRONZE, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Bre3xin BRONZE, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I think what's most amazing about life today for the female gender is not only the discrimination we experience, but the stereotypes we fit into and the pressure we feel. I don't know about boys, but the pressure a girl feels doesn't just come from three directions. It's not just about athletics, academics, or socialization. It's so much more, and we all feel it whether we wish to or not! It's different to see women in power such as the CEO of HP Meg Whitman. Kelly supports this discrimination women feel even as they grow up through her example with Hilary Clinton, because women aren't the only one's that are prejudice or sexist; men are too.

It can be argued that women have more equal rights now compared to in the twenties, but these rights we've received have left our gender with a scar known as stereotypes. There isn't one girl who hasn't been called a s***, ugly, or too fat. There hasn't been enough time for society to develop a maturity towards the fact that women and men are one in the same. We're both human.

Marilyn Monroe is one of the most well known women in history. She is relatively well known for what she did, but the true value she holds is in her personality. Marilyn Monroe once said, "I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it." She embraced her sexuality and used it. She knew the advantage women have in a man's world. She was powerful, because she understood what it took for a woman to make it in the world at the time. As women of today's world, that actually can have a say, we should stand up to the stereotypes, criticism, and discrimination. Women should help shape the world to make it more fair, because the world is man's world now not "a man's world". So embrace your feminine charm and love yourself, because women can change the world, too.