Homeschool Blues This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I get stereotyped a lot. When I meet someone for the first time, we’ll be talking about movies, music, or summer jobs – then, the dreaded question: “So, where do you go to school?” I shift slightly. I know how they’re going to ­react. I know that they’ll give me a weird look and then find an excuse to move on, muttering a derogatory remark as they smirk at me. You see, I’m homeschooled.

This stereotype has affected me numerous times. One day, my friend and I were taking the PSAT at the local high school. The attendant found our educational choice amusing.

“Do you ever wish you could go to ­real school?” she asked.

“I do go to a real school, thank you very much.” I tried not to sound annoyed.

“You don’t get out much, do you?”

“I get out plenty.”

“Do you know what prom is?”

“Yes, I’m going to mine this spring.” I sighed thankfully as a voice boomed over the loudspeaker, signaling the start of the test.

Last summer one of my coworkers, who was in college, asked what grade I was in and what school I went to.

I ­answered. “Don’t you get tired of sitting at home all day?” she asked, blankly.

I sighed. It was too late; her view of me was already tainted. I could tell she thought I was naive and ­immature.

“So do you have any friends?” she asked.

“Of course!” My sarcastic self wanted to say something about a hermit, but I decided to stick to the facts and not let my big mouth get me in trouble.

People’s reactions are beginning to ­annoy me. I used to dread being asked where I go to school. I would do almost anything to avoid the question. I was afraid I would get stuck in the homeschooler stereotype: long hair, dresses, 16 kids in the family, never heard of Britney Spears, never been to a mall, just sit at home and knit all day. I’m not super smart, and I don’t have a learning ­disability. However, as I near the end of high school, and ­reflect on almost 10 years of being homeschooled, I realize that I shouldn’t be afraid of the stereotype; I should redefine it.

You see, I have two sisters: one is ­attending a public high school, the other goes to the local community college. I play lacrosse and basketball, and my best friend and I will be starting driver’s ed soon. One of my other close friends attends a local high school. I go the mall almost as often as I brush my teeth. I love rock music. I was shocked at Jamie Lynn’s pregnancy. I love McDonald’s double cheeseburgers and hate Starbucks coffee. I write poetry. I hate algebra. I have a MySpace. My toenails are lime-green, my hair is shoulder-length, and I want dreadlocks. I help run a coffee house for high school bands. Oh, and my best friend, who is also homeschooled, received a full Division I college scholarship for soccer.

I’m not handing out this information to prove that I am just like you; I want you to see that you are just like me. I don’t live in a different world than ­other high schoolers. I only choose to be homeschooled.

Recently a coworker asked the ­question and seemed surprised with my answer. “You’re homeschooled?” he asked, shocked. I smiled. That’s the message I want to send. I want to show them what a homeschooler is really like: any other teenage girl.

1Timothy412This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Sep. 25 at 4:53 pm:
This is so true. When you say your homeschooled its like they view you as this weird thing that just entered earth. I agree with you all the way! Great Job!

LostInThoughtsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 16 at 2:04 pm:
Well I am an All Honors student and I am considered popular. But popularity means nothing to a girl like me.

Confused Teen said...
I am now a freshman in high school and wish everyday to be homeschooled. I know if I was I would go to school for JROTC and band, also I run varsity track. Do you think it would be a good idea for me to homeschool? Or do I need to finsh the year out?

Clara K. replied...
Feb. 13 at 9:28 am :
finish the year out. Just trust me. It's important. Next year do whatever you want. Also this is a good article but a little hard to follow.

LostInThoughtsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Feb. 14 at 5:31 pm :
And after I  finish the year out would it be smart to homeschool?

Clara K. replied...
Feb. 15 at 1:52 pm :
if you think it would be better than your current school for your education level and social level than go for it.

DawnieRae said...
I am homeschooled, I have been for like years. Ussually when people learn I am hokeschooled they think its cool. They ask me of it means I get sleep in late. I don't haha I get up early! Anyways, great article! I really love finding out about what other homeschoolers feel about this! I love homeschooling and would never go to public school for the world. I love being with my family!

midfieldallday said...
May 30, 2013 at 3:24 pm:
I'm a freshman and this is my first year being homeschooled. my dad is in the military and last year we lived about an hour away from where we do now, i went to school and had amazing friends and a boyfriend who i still keep in contact with (though we're no longer dating) and well now i live here and i'm homeschooled but i go to the high school part time for band, and i play soccer there, but gosh at the beginning of this year i felt exactly the same way that you just described, and ... (more »)

ImErinSurvivorThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 28, 2013 at 6:51 pm:
I really really enjoyed reading this. I am homeschooled and I often face these sterotypes and questions. But I am glad that you stand for all of us homescholers ^_^ Gah-reat jobo XD

kmeep said...
Feb. 27, 2013 at 7:35 am:
I agree. I'm homeschooled, but I definitely don't sit at home all day. Actually, I'm an extrovert. And I have plenty of friends.

lovesoradical said...
Thank you for sharing this! I was homeschooled for ten years, too, and there are so many stigmas and stereotypes. It's unfair, and simply untrue. I get asked those same questions all the time. There's a guy on youtube, Jordan Taylor, who speaks to the same thing... search "top 7 lies about homeschoolers" and watch the "messy mondays" video. (: You will love it. He humorously combats the common stereotypes.

theatregirlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I like your article. while i am not homeschool, most of my best friends are and they are homeschool. They are often time upset but stigma. In fact, i when say homeschool, i often answer by " so do they like have, a tv and everything?"  or "so not real, are they". 

deanna98 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I am homeschooled; I love this article. While I did have, as of a month ago, hip-length hair, I am completely unlike what a homeschooler stigma indicates. Well written, informative, beautiful. I do have friends that only listen to Prairie Home Companion and buy ducks to eat eggs, but I do not consider myself in their class. Great job! 

BrightlyLit said...
Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:31 am:
Great article!! I'm homeschooled too and this is the message that I have been trying to get across for the past 7 years. I really work hard to "redefine", as so adiquitly said, the homeschooler sterio type. I have tons of people who are shocked when I tell them I'm homeschooled. Nicely put fellow homeschooler!!

butnowamfound said...
when i was homeschooled, my hair was long, i wore a floral print dress everyday, i have a big family, i only istened to classical music, i never went to the mall, and i knitted all the time. Now i go to private school, and its just the oppisite. But you know what? i miss my old life. I got so such more out of it. I just wanted to put that out there. And yes, people stereoytyped me. But although it hurt, its worth it to do what you love.

eliana924 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Very empowering. Out of curiosity, why are you homeschooled?

BadGirl said...

I get the same reation ALL THE TIME!!!

Really annoying. But there are homeschool clubs and activaties you could join. That's what I do & I love it.

But we are different from everyone else. Maybe smarter, or not, but we are different from the kids that DO go to school.

This article really spoke to me. :)

ADifferentKindOfPrincess said...
I know. It is so annoying. They rant and rave about how they couldn't handle it and they would absolutley HAVE to go somewhere and do something. HELLO people I am somewhere and I do do stuff...thats why we having this conversation! Sorry got a little carried a way there. Great article!

selenagfan said...
They probably think of it this way, "If I was homeschooled, I'd be soooo lonely and misrible" so they think every other homeschooled kid is too. I go to public school, so I don't know how you feel.

Violist said...
Nov. 6, 2011 at 9:30 am:
Thank you for this article! I hate it when homeschoolers are stereotyped like that. I homeschooled three years ago, and people still stereotype me now. It's so annoying!