Homophobia | Teen Ink

Homophobia

April 24, 2012
By SamiiA BRONZE, Hackensack, New Jersey
SamiiA BRONZE, Hackensack, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Be yourself because everyone else is already taken."


Homophobia is something I don’t understand! I mean know the definition, but I don’t understand why some people are so passionate about hating somebody because of who they are attracted to and may eventually fall in love with. Why can’t a couple of the same sex get married in most places? Because society believes it’s wrong? People should be able to make their own decisions no matter what race, gender, or sexual preference.

Excuses, Excuses. Commonly used excuses include “They choose this for themselves”. “This has to be the excuse that agitates me the most. Do you honestly think people would choose to be disowned by family and friends or be bullied to the point of self-harm, depression or even suicide? If this was a matter of choice people would choose the easier option, BEING STRAIGHT! Another poorly thought out excuse is “It’s a sin.” What I have to say to that is the fact that people sin every day. You can’t tell me that you have never done something sinful because if you do it’s a BIG FAT LIE. Even if it is a sin and you think all gays are going to hell that is none of your concern. If what you are saying is true then you don’t have to worry about going to hell. But let me ask you a question. Does someone deserve to go to heaven for abusing somebody verbally and physically? For judging someone they don’t know? For excluding somebody because they are different? I think not.

Did you ever wonder what it would be like if the roles were reversed? What if being straight caused you to be shunned by the people closest to you? Imagined if you got harassed for being with the person you are in love with. Having to worry about being affectionate in public? I’m not talking about just kissing; I’m talking simple things like hand holding or sitting to close together.

Prejudice is just ignorance. Don’t be an ignorant fool. You are in no position to judge anybody. Get educated; see if you can find logical reasons for your homophobia. I bet you won’t find any. One in five people you meet are gay. That means someone you are extremely close with could possibly be a homosexual. Being gay is not a disease! There is NO CURE and there NEVER will be. It’s just the way people are born and it’s nobody’s fault. I may be young but I know people should be treated with respect and dignity.