Cats and Dogs (Not What You Think) | Teen Ink

Cats and Dogs (Not What You Think)

January 16, 2012
By LeanBean BRONZE, Chengdu, Other
LeanBean BRONZE, Chengdu, Other
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"First time, thought about it didn't do it. Last time, that's when i really blew it. This time, I'm gonna do it different 'cos I know I'm gonna get what's good for me."


Men and women are of the same species, yet sometimes we all think we could have come from different universes. Have you ever heard the saying “Men are from Mars, women are from Venus”? This statement could be true. Although we all have hearts, brains, eyes, and ears, only women can cry at any random moment and blame it on hormones, and only men can… well… I’ll think of something. The most basic difference between these two genders is their physical characteristics. But have you thought of the other qualities that make us different? I’ll give you a hint: it has to do with cats and dogs.

The human race is like cats and dogs. On one side, women are sneaky like cats; on the other, men are needy like dogs. Cats give you the look that says, “You don’t own me – I own you.” This is how women are. If they tell their husbands, boyfriends or fiancés, “How come I didn’t think of that?” inside there are thinking, I am way ahead of you, dear. This gives the male “leader” of the family a false impression that he is in control, whereas the female is really making the decisions and making you work for her.

There is a reason a dog is a man’s best friend; they have so many things in common that their personalities just click once they lay eyes on each other. First of all, they both depend on women to feed them. Secondly, what women give them that their own specie cannot: love and attention. Dogs follow women around because they are the ones that feed, bathe, take care of, and love them the most. Men follow women around because women cook, clean, feed, love, and give attention to them. In general, women take care of a man and are in control of most of his life. Yes, men only seem to go to work, bring in the money and drink beer. So why do we need them? Women need men because they have two things females do not or cannot give to each other: fertilization of their eggs and requited love and care for you.

Here is another similarity between men and women and dogs and cats: they both speak different languages. Today men and women have two different dialects that are very difficult for the opposite gender to understand, similar to cats and dogs. If a woman says something with a subtle underlying message, then the man will most likely take what she is saying literally. The man’s response to her message can easily cause an argument, therefore infuriating both genders. For example, and man would most likely take the quote, “This is disastrous. I am never going to be able to move this thing on my own,” as, “I don’t know how to do this. Can you show me how to move this thing?” He will then go up to her and say, “Here, let me show you how to do it. Its actually rather easy if you get the hang of it.” This is completely missing her underlying message of, “I just want you to listen to me and make me feel loved, darn it!” He is taking her statement literally, therefore misunderstanding her.

This misunderstanding is not just one-way. Women also misinterpret what men say, but not as often. For example, if a female asks someone of the opposite sex to a party, he might say, “Maybe.” This is one of the most common misunderstandings between guys and girls. What the man really means is, “No, because I don’t want to come,” but since he doesn’t want to hurt the woman’s feelings, he does not reveal his true answer, instead giving her a false impression that he would go to the party. You see, for a female, the word “maybe” means “yes” or “99% sure I will”. When the man doesn’t show up for the party, the next time the two of them meet the woman would get angry and an argument would start.
Overall, the differences between men and women are much greater than the similarities. We all are living organisms that have cells and organs, but even some of those are different in each gender. Felines and canines both have fur and use all four limbs to walk and run, but that too is the extent of their similarities. While women purr and let the men think they are in charge, the men swoon over the women because they cannot live without their love and affection. They both speak the same literal language, but the meanings for words are completely different for each sex. There are so many more differences between the sexes that the list is endless, but when they are together, each one of them either purrs her heart out or wags his tail off in love and joy.
Most of the time.