"Spread the Word to End the Word"

By , Irving, TX
Have you ever heard of the new campaign going around called "Spread the word to end the word"? Well probably not but it's about ending the acceptability of the word "retard". Some people don't realize that it isn't really right to call someone a retard even if your just kidding because of the fact that people with mental disabilities would really get offended by it. I mean have you ever went up to a person with a mental handicap and ask them how they feel about a word that they have heard as an insult probably, being thrown around in conversations like it doesn't mean a thing. I've used the word retard a lot without really caring but i realized that it could be really offensive to mentally handicapped people who are in the same area as you. The campaign is actually pretty amazing in the fact that it is trying to create a safe and comfortable environment for everyone and i think personally that it is a very intelligent way of making people feel good about themselves and others.

invisiblepurpledragonfly said...
thanks for posting this it really makes me happy that someone else understands about my sister and people like her thanks :)