Teenage | Teen Ink

Teenage

By Violist BRONZE, Flower Mound, Texas
Violist BRONZE, Flower Mound, Texas

I hate how disliked I am because I am fifteen. Everyone assumes that I text constantly with no grammar and that I bad mouth my parents endlessly. They imagine me with the cookie cutter hair style, the same clothes as everyone else, and a phone. They think I am irresponsible, rebellious, trouble making, immature, and lazy. They think my mind is limited to gossip, boys, and maybe grades.
This assumption may apply to some teens, but not the majority of us, and certainly not me. I love classical music, and I play the viola. I don’t even own a cell phone. I love my parents and my siblings. I have a passion for math and science. I have never gossiped in my life. I care about my grades, but I care more about how much I learn and about the actual subject. As far as boys go, I don’t think about them that much. They are my friends, and I see them as such. I, like many teens, am way more than some shallow stereotype.
Yet, people don’t believe it. One time when I was having problems hearing my mom, I went to have a hearing test. The person, before she ever gave me the test, said that maybe I was just being a teenager and not listening to my parents. She ticked me off so much. I try my hardest to listen to my mom. I just don’t hear her all of the time. Another time, our family visited a distant cousin who lives nearby. Afterwards, she called my mom and complained about how much me and by older brother were texting. We didn’t even own cell phones. My mom told her this, and she was embarrassed. She was just trying to take advantage of us because of our age.
What makes me even angrier is the group of teenagers that caused this stereotype to form, and reinforces it. They do sit here and gossip about their bff and talk about this week’s boy. They sit through lunch and dinner texting. They never listen to their parents, and they are very immature. Then someone sees them, and thinks we are all that way. All I ask is that others see us as individuals, not rebellious teenagers.

lkk4209 BRONZE said...
on Nov. 24 2011 at 10:07 am
lkk4209 BRONZE, Somewhere, Massachusetts

"April Fool's Day is for amateurs. You never need an excuse to mess with people's heads."

"I may be lying in the gutter, but I'm staring up at the stars, honey."

THANK YOU FOR WRITING THIS! It always makes me mad when people think I'm just a "rebellious teenager" or whatever. There's more to me than my age!

Lisakh said...
Good article!