Introduction to the Holocaust

Friedrich Otto Hertz states that, “At the heart of racism is the religious assertion that God made a creative mistake when He brought some people into being.” Americans deemed this of the African-Americans. Brahmins assumed this of the untouchables. And, the Germans thought this of the Jews. The Germans failed to realize that God has created all people in His image. The assumption that Nazis held superiority in all aspects of life led to the systematically planned murder of six million Jewish people. This mass persecution of a single group of people possesses the tile of the Holocaust. During the Holocaust, the Nazis murdered, discriminated, and tortured Jews who appeared to the eyes of the Germans as inferior creatures. The Nazis believed that the Jews contaminated the human race and did not deserve to take part in it. They neglected the fact that Jews existed as human beings. Human beings with homes. Human beings with families. Human beings with jobs, talents, and purposes. None of this mattered to the Germans. They viewed the Jewish people as a threat, and sought to exterminate the impurities within Europe.