A Need of Acceptance | Teen Ink

A Need of Acceptance

May 9, 2011
By B-True BRONZE, Royal Oak, Michigan
B-True BRONZE, Royal Oak, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Sam and Brett have been dating since their junior year of high school. They have been dating now for 9 years. Brett always buys Sam such beautiful presents and the vice-versa. They’ve given each other all there is for one person to give. Brett has decided to propose to Sam. They describe each other as “soul mates.” Herein lies the issue. Their friends and family are 100% against their marriage; as is the government. The law says that they are not allowed to get married. How would you feel if you were denied marriage to the one you love? How would you feel? I can speak for all of us when I say that I, as well as all of you, would feel terrible.

Now, Sam and Brett are a gay couple. What? What, you say? Yes, they are a gay couple. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, right? A statement we all can agree with is “We do not choose our romantic feelings… we often find them thrust upon us… We discover them; we do not invent them” (Corvino). This applies to homosexual beings as well. You don’t choose to be gay, just the same as you don’t choose what race you are, or the tone of your skin. As stated by Frank Kamney in a 1964 speech to the New York Mattachine Society (an early gay rights group), “We are interested in obtaining rights for our respective minorities as Negroes, as Jews, and as Homosexuals. Why we are Negroes, Jews, or Homosexuals is totally irrelevant, and whether we can be changed to Whites, Christians, or heterosexuals is equally irrelevant.”

Attempting to change an African-American into a Caucasian just sounds silly. It’s virtually impossible, and extremely pointless; as is attempting to change the romantic feelings of an individual. A person cannot choose who they fall in love with. Yet, Psychiatrists, as well as others, attempt to change the sexual desires (orientation) of gay individuals. “Their attempts… however, (are most noteworthy) for their lack of success.” (Cornett).

Let’s say you are a heterosexual. Would you want me attempting to turn you gay? No. You wouldn’t. So why is it okay to try and change a gay into a straight, if it’s not okay for the vice-versa? Homosexuals can barely get support from their own families. Do they really need strangers putting them down, attempting to change them as if they are some kind of foul beast? No. No. No, and a thousand times, no! Give it a rest and accept the fact that it’s the 21st century and changes in views are desperately needed! Racism has died down mostly, so why is homophobia still prevalent?

From a religious aspect, in the Bible it says “You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination.” Well, the Bible also says to “…eat the flesh of the mighty and drink the blood of the princes…” Also, it states that if a part of your body causes you to sin, cut it off. Another interesting quote is, “thou shalt eat… and… bake it with dung that (comes) out of man, (while they watch).” Finally, it says that if you trust your heart, you are a fool, and says child abuse is basically okay. I don’t know about you, but is everything in the Bible followed literally and made into law? Simply put, no. Cannibalism is illegal. As well as child abuse. Baking with “dung that (comes) out of man” is nasty and I can bet less than .0000000000001% of people do it. Can you honestly tell me that the above quotes from the Bible are okay and things that are literally interpreted? Hopefully the answer is no.