I'm Not "My People" | Teen Ink

I'm Not "My People"

March 14, 2011
By Anonymous

Have you ever been a minority? One of the ones everyone thinks is so weird, so different. Not because you’re any less human, but because you have a different colored skin. Have you ever heard someone whisper about you and then hear their friends chuckle? I have.

I know what you’re thinking, “this girl must be black, Hispanic, Asian, or something whose been bullied by some white people”. Well, you’re close. I’m a white girl who is discriminated against by my Hispanic peers. I get called “stupid” because I don’t know Spanish. They laugh at my futile attempts to understand what they’re saying to me. They mock me because I’m such a “gringa”.

Now, before you start thinking I’m just a horrible b**** who hates everyone, I have plenty of Hispanic friends in school and out of it. I absolutely love them to death. They are some of the kindest and most loving people I have ever met. My boyfriend is even a full-blooded, proud Mexicano. Obviously, I have nothing wrong with Hispanics.

But those few who do mock me for being white make life so horrible. I have gotten my books knocked out of my hands, been tripped in the hall, and even been pushed into a wall. They treat me as if I’m beneath them, like they’re so superior because I don’t know Spanish. Some even say it’s justice for what “my people” did to them. Just cause I’m white, now I’m suddenly a responsible for what other Caucasians have done to their ancestors?

My point is, no matter what ethnicity or nationality you are, if you are the minority there, you are fair game to anyone who doesn’t like anything they don’t know. I understand that it’s hard to think of a white girl being the victim of racial slur, I grew up believing only Caucasians could deal out such cruel words. But it happens, whether you want to admit it or not.


The author's comments:
Together we can make a difference, don't let someone's background or skin color define them. We are all of one race: humanity. Everyone is entitled to respect and freedom. So please, follow the Golden Rule they taught us in elementary. Treat others the way you wish to be treated.