Bullying in 2209 | Teen Ink

Bullying in 2209

When will it all end? The bullying I mean. Oops, excuse me. I’m being rude. My name is Sean, and this is the year 2209. Humanity has come so far since the 20th century. We’ve made flying cars, tame robots, and every medicine in the galaxy. But there is still the problem of bullying. I absolutely despise bullying. It’s been around far too long for my taste. It should have been banished when it first began. But instead, it’s grown into a problem so big, not even the President can stop it. There are so many forms of bullying. There’s verbal and physical, which I personally think are the worst. Then there are more serious ones, like sexual and racial. Bullying is so terrible; I don’t know why people don’t stand up for themselves and tell someone. Most people are too scared to tell anyone because they’re terrified the bully will hurt them. Let me ask you this: How can the bully hurt you if someone’s watching his every move? Don’t be afraid to stand up for yourself and tell someone. Trust me, you’ll improve your life if you stop the bullying.

How do I know so much, you ask? Well, I’ve been through it all. I’ve felt what verbal bullying is like. It’s like you’re being torn apart from the inside out. I don’t know why people do it if they know how much it hurts the victim. Then again, maybe they don’t know. In that case, tell the bully how much it does hurt. I know it seems embarrassing and dorky, but in reality, it’s really not. Don’t be mean to the bully, but be truthful and tell them to please stop. You’d be surprised at the results. You never know, you might change the bully’s mind, too.
Oh, and about being a bystander; if you see anyone being bullied in any way, do not be afraid to step in. Don’t be afraid about becoming a target either, because even if you do, the kid you’re saving will support you. And if they don’t, someone else who admires your courage will. Then the bully will have no choice but to back off and go away. There are so many ways to stop bullying, in any form. You can ignore most forms of bullying, like cyber, verbal, and emotional. But some forms, like physical and sexual, can’t be ignored. Some of those forms can be stopped, while others can only be prevented by the victim. You can still prevent most forms and stop a whole lot of abuse, depression, and even suicide. Even in 2209, with all of our pleasures in life, kids still commit suicide. Sad, isn’t it?

If you’re being bullied, don’t be afraid to tell your parents. They will help you even if you don’t think it will do any good. And all of you parents out there, help your kid and ask them if they’re being bullied. And even if you think that your parents don’t care, they do. It will absolutely crush them if you do end up committing suicide. Now I come back to my original question: When will it all end? To tell you the truth, I don’t know. I personally hope it ends tomorrow, but we can’t always get what we want. Victims, tell someone if you’re being bullied. Bullies, knock it off. A lot of people say the bullies have problems, but I just think they do it for fun. Just think bullies; the people you’re bullying are human beings, too. Why do they deserve to be bullied? What have they done to be treated this way? It can seriously depress people, and how would you feel if you caused the death of an innocent? And victims, stand up for yourself and tell the bully to stop. And if that doesn’t work, tell an adult. They can help you and stop the bullying right in its tracks. If you choose to ignore the bullying, good for you. I suppose this wraps up my journal entry for today. I hope that if anyone finds this, they take my advice and try to stop bullying. It’s a terrible thing, and it hurts people beyond human comprehension. This is Sean, year 2209, and I hope bullying becomes as scarce as a black hole.

I hope everyone gets something off of this piece. It's very special and very true. Please, I'll be honest. Bullying sucks, and something needs to be done about it. Read this and spread the idea that bullying is wrong.