Did the advant of African American slavery do more good than harm for America? | Teen Ink

Did the advant of African American slavery do more good than harm for America?

By Christablue GOLD, Greensboro, North Carolina
Christablue GOLD, Greensboro, North Carolina

What if and a group of people were strained and lost on the side of the road. While riding down the road with your family you come upon us. Your family helps us with our situation and even shows us around town. Thinking that we're good honest strangers in a new town, your family even shares a meal with us. Your family has a Cadillac Escalade, a nice car. We indeed notice this and decide to follow your family home. For the next couple of weeks we closely observe your home. We notice your family packing up the car to go on vacation. We see this as a window of opportunity. While you’re away with your family, myself and a group of people steal your possessions, and ram shack your home. How does this make you feel?

The people you helped smiled in your face and then toke what you hold dear to you. This is what the Europeans did to the Native Americans, and changed the lives of Africans forever. So then how could creating bad terms with a different nationality better a civilization? American slavery is the worst and most brutal slavery. Conditions of this type of slavery are told in detail in the book Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe. So how can bondage help a civilization? Even though the south had slaves, they still lost the war. The North produced three-forth’s of the nation's wealth. They had a bigger army including thousands of black soldiers. The North also had better equipment and supplies to fight the war.

If African Americans were free, imagine how much more we could have accomplished as a people. Learning to read was considered a crime back in slavery days. It’s the law that Europeans lived by and Negros died by. How can holding someone’s freedom to learn help a civilization grow? Once freed that’s when many inventions began to blossom in America. Slavery had nothing to do with that aspect. The Constitution said that all men are created equal. If the Constitution was applied to life the way it was written. There would be no need for a 13th or 19th amendment.

"Who taught you to hate yourself?"- Malcolm X. The fact that African Americans are not proud of their skin tone evolved from slavery. The lighter skinned Negros was house slaves and the darker skinned Negros was field slaves. This type of brainwashing is sadly still alive today. Even within some African American families, whom ever has the lightest baby is praised. This is very sad, but is reality. A beautiful culture in a way lost forever!