Time To Do My Part | Teen Ink

Time To Do My Part

Wasn’t it exciting to guess what was inside the red and green colored box as you peaked when mom and dad were putting the gifts under the tree, thinking you were asleep? Didn’t that anticipation and joy pull you through countless carols and old childhood stories that your great-uncle was telling? A child should never wakeup on Christmas morning with nothing to look forward to underneath the tree. Smiles should be passed around, in abundance, from person to person as they give and receive presents; children’s faces weren’t made for frowning. This holiday season I volunteered at the local park by helping Santa pass out presents to the kids in need. The line was enormous; it reached all the way to the pool. Children, who otherwise have to go through the year without a new shiny toy because there is only enough money for food, should have the chance to excitedly rip open wrapping paper at least once during the year. There is no way I could ever forget the faces as they filled with glee when they received “that doll from the commercial” or “the new and improved flame-embellished car”. From that moment I promised myself that volunteering would proceed to being one of my regular habits. After all not having the money to purchase the toys that were given didn’t mean I couldn’t make the time to do my part in making a smile appear on a child’s face.

octoberwind BRONZE, Brownsville, Texas

"Great is the art of beginning, but greater is the art of ending."
~Lazurus Long~

It wasn't made for Pride and Prejudice, it was meant for Community Service:(. My bad

octoberwind BRONZE, Brownsville, Texas

~Lazurus Long~

I know, right. Comunity service doesn't seem like work anymore its a helping hand. Thx.

Lils101 SILVER said...
Lils101 SILVER, San Diego, California

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger"

AMAZING!!!