Gay Rights | Teen Ink

Gay Rights

December 9, 2010
By Anonymous

America is the country where all men are equal, but sadly we contradict this principle when is comes to someone’s sexual orientation. Every day, men and women across the country are denied simple, civil rights, because of their sexual orientation. Gaining gay rights, in general, has been a long, ugly fight. Gays have been ridiculed and persecuted for how they live their lives, but they are humans filled with love just like every one else. Gays have been denied marriage, jobs, and even killed because of who they love.
When you’re growing up, the idea of marrying your one true love sounds like the best way to spend your life, but what if you couldn’t marry them? What if after planning and dreaming about your one and only wedding day, the law doesn’t allow you to be legally married? The fight for gay marriage has been going on quite a long time. There are a few states which have legalized marriage, but a few is not enough. . Everyone deserves the chance to marry their love, no matter what their sexual orientation is. The common opposition to gay marriage is that it is not in the Bible and is a sin, but people migrate to America, everyday, in hopes to leave religiously tyranny in their countries. The opposition’s argument is invalid for another reason, not everyone reads the Bible and being a religiously tolerant country, we are supposed to accept all religions. Also, no one has the right to limit someone else’s birth rights, especially for such heinous reasons.
When you’re walking into a job interview, you should be nervous about if you’re qualified enough. You shouldn’t be worried about what your sexual orientation is. Unfortunately, in 34 states, it is still perfectly legal for lesbian and gay employees to be fired simply because their employers discover, and disapprove of, their sexual orientation. Luckily, many corporations have made policies prohibiting discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation. ENDA (the Employment Non-Discrimination Act) will create a federal law protecting gay and lesbian workers. The law will make it unlawful to fire or refuse to hire someone based on their sexual orientation. Job discrimination is only part of the bullying that gays have to go through on a day to day basis.
Hate crimes happen every day because of different prejudices. They should not be tolerated. Gay bashing, a common hate crime, has become more of a regular occurrence during daily conversation, at least among teenagers. If you walk down the halls of any high school, you will hear the word “fagot” or the phrase “that’s gay”. These sayings are extremely derogatory and offensive. The real definition of fagot is a bundle of sticks, twigs, or branches bound together and used as a fuel. Cruel sayings and bullying have led to many suicides. In the past year, a huge number of teenage boys have taken their lives due to ridicule for who they like. Homicide is also common; many people who come out of the closet are killed by homophobes. These homicides and suicides should never happen; no one should be bullied or beaten because of their sexual orientation.
Civil rights are rights. All men are supposed to be treated equally, meaning no one should be discriminated against. No boy or girl, man or woman, should be treated with such hatred and negativity about the way they look, who they love, what color their skin is, or what they believe in. Everyone is entitled to live their own life. No government should be able to prohibit a marriage between two people that love each other or a job someone has worked their whole life to get on the basis of their sexual orientation.