I Have | Teen Ink

I Have

By cmCampbell SILVER, Cedar Grove, New Jersey
cmCampbell SILVER, Cedar Grove, New Jersey

"Every minute you spend angry is 60 seconds you lose of happiness!"

I once heard a quote that said: never give up. That’s it. Three words. Eight letters. Eleven characters. I have carried these words with me everywhere throughout my life. I have been called names, been cursed off, and screamed at. I have been told I was stupid, useless, and fat. I once had someone tell me I could never achieve anything in life and to just give up. I have been pushed, shoved, and spat on. I have been punched, hit, and shot at. I once had someone threaten to obliterate my being from this earth and to beware. I have sneezed, have coughed and have wheezed. I have been injured, been sick, and been dying. I was once told to abandon my fight for life, for I was not going to live to see the next week. I have starved, have thirsted, and have fatigued. I have felt depression, seen death, and witnessed war. I have been told to leave hope behind and wait around for nothing to come. I have thought, I have tasted, I have heard. I have decided, I have known, I have ignored. I have been told I was ignorant for not heading their word. Well, ignorance is bliss and I have yet to give up yet. I am an American citizen and I have seen it all.

I started with the first line in my head and just kept writing everything that popped into my head. Halfway through I realized that everything the narrator describes, describes the hardships faced by Americans at one point or another.