Gay Marriage | Teen Ink

Gay Marriage

November 21, 2010
By Jules Cable SILVER, Littleton, Colorado
Jules Cable SILVER, Littleton, Colorado
5 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Should same-gender couples be allowed to marry? This question is heavily debated throughout the world, and is a hot political topic in the United States. Gay marriage is opposed by many people because most religions consider homosexuality a sin. The opposition believes that gay marriage weakens the institution of marriage and traditional family values. I believe that to deny same-gender couples the right to marry, is to deny them of their civil and basic human rights.


The constitution clearly states in the first amendment that ALL Americans have the freedom to believe in anything they please. The law against gay marriage is rejecting many people from their fundamental right to practice what they believe. Our founding fathers called for separation from church and state. The states shouldn’t make laws because the church tells them to. What’s next? “Should we make taking the Lord's name in vain a criminal activity because Christians consider it a breaking of a commandment?” says Mr. Joe Messerli of Balanced Politics.

Some opposed to gay marriage believe it will destroy traditional values. Gay people simply don’t hurt anyone or anything by being themselves. Marriage is between two people who are in love, and who is it hurting if it happens to be two people of the same gender? Prohibiting gay citizens from marrying denies them some of their basic human rights. If a church or certain group of individuals does not agree with that, they have the right to disapprove, and to practice what they want in their own church, but not the right to stop it for everyone else. As far as traditional values go, according to the 2000 census, 96 percent of U.S. counties have at least one same-sex couple with a child. If it is beneficial for children to grow up with parents who are married, shouldn’t children of homosexual couples receive the same benefit from having married parents?

Same-sex marriage should be legal because the number of adoptions would increase. Since they obviously do not have the ability to have children together, homosexual couples would adopt more kids in need of a family. They still have the desire for a family together, so the only way would be to adopt. All kids deserve to have a family who will love them and take care of them. I’m positive if gay marriage is legal, more children will get that opportunity. Of course there is opposition to gays adopting children, however, the American Psychological Association has supported adoption by same-sex couples citing, there is no evidence that their parenting causes harm in any way.


Other people might argue that gay matrimony is a sin, or that it would weaken the family values needed in society, but I say that it is one’s right to marry, and that no one should be able to take away what is their fundamental right.


The author's comments:
This is MY opinion, if you have something to add please comment. Thank you!