Peer Pressure | Teen Ink

Peer Pressure

Peer pressure is the feeling that one is being pushed to make a certain choice. Peer pressure affects people of all age. Peer pressure can be both good and bad. It’s just what we to deal with, even adults. Peer pressure influences a person even if they don’t realize it. Let's talk about how to handle it.
Some kids give in to peer pressure because they want to fit in, or they worry about other kids making fun of them if they don't go along with the group. They don't want to be bullied; they want to be the one doing the bullying. Others go along with it because they are curious to try and do what others are doing. The idea that "everyone's doing it" can influence us to leave our common sense behind.
It is tough to be the only one who says "no" to peer pressure, but we can do it. We must walk away, and resist doing something when you know better. Friends also are a big influence on our lives. It can help to have at least one friend who is willing to say "no," too. If we choose friends who don't use drugs, cut class, smoke cigarettes, or lie to their parents, then we most likely won’t do it, even if other kids do. Try to help a friend who has trouble with peer pressure.
Even though peer pressure is like someone do what they want to do, it isn’t always bad. We all are influenced by our peers, both negatively and positively. So, there is positive peer pressure. For instance, one can pressure another into what is right. Encouraging another that they don’t have to drink or smoke to have fun is an act of positive peer pressure. Peer pressure is positive when it encourages kids to have positive attitudes habits respect others, and work hard.

Peer pressure has a great impact on our lives. Peer pressure is just what we have to deal with in everyday life. We must know the difference between positive and negative peer pressure. We also have to choose our friends wisely because they’re the ones who most likely influence us. It is important to know how to deal with it.