Self Esteem-Losing It's Steam? | Teen Ink

Self Esteem-Losing It's Steam?

By KatsCool GOLD, Jacksonville, Florida
KatsCool GOLD, Jacksonville, Florida

The role of a writer is not to say what we all can say, but what we are unable to say. ~Anaïs Nin

You hear them all the time. Rude comments or posts about somebodies weight, clothes, religion, or sexuality.
You may just ignore them, or walk away. That was before they committed suicide or transferred schools. You see every time a remark that comes out of somebodies mouth, it wears away at there self esteem.

You may be one of the people who make fun of the gay kid, or the girl who cant afford the newest Juicy purse. You are a thief. You are robbing them of self confidence, and sometimes there life. You might be the one who
walks by the kid who is crying in the hall. Don't just walk by, do something! Ask them how they are doing, offer them a tissue. Sit next to them at lunch. You may not think its very sufficient, and that its not going to make a difference. Even if they don't show it, I know for a fact (because iv been there) it does. It brightens there day,
gives them a glimmer of hope.

Sometimes having too much self esteem is a bad thing too. These people think theyre the best thing since Lady Gaga and think helping a person of lower "class" of them isn't worth it. Or you think that the goth kids don't want help. Sometimes this ignorance to other people is built by (this is what they call it) the preps. Who think
they are too high and mighty to give them a chance. I did, and i started to truly take they phrase "dont judge a book by its cover" very literally. Just because someone doesn't want to blend in with the bottle blonde popular
cheer leaders doesn't degenerate them from a normal person.

What im trying to say is don't hate and don't judge. Get to know the outcast, sit next to the loner in the cafeteria,
stick up for the gay kid. It makes all the difference. It makes days and could be just the thing to change a mind from making a life ending decision.

Thank you to all of the people who already do these things! I'm glad the world has people like you!

"A realistic respect for or favorable impression of oneself; self-respect"

"Don't judge a book by it's cover."