Ground Zero | Teen Ink

Ground Zero

A question was asked as we were sitting in class. She pointed at me and asked, "What is your opinion on the Mosque and Gound Zero?"

The majority of the class was offended and thought how could such a thing even be a question. Obviously the answer is it shouldn't happen. At first I felt the same and I was unable to give a straight forward answer, but now I notice that I am caught in between. I think the Muslims should be able to build whatever they choose because Amserica is all about freedom, but I also feel that it occurs it will be as if they are mocking America and laughin in our faces. I feel that the Muslims should move the site for the mosque. I do not believe all muslims are culpable for 9/11 but I do believe they should have a little respect for the everlasting horrifying memories the EXTREMISTS has given us.

If I could speak to those who are responsible for the idea of building it in this exact location, I would ask questions.
Why here?
Have they forgotten why there are no longer buildings standing there?
Although it has been nine years do they think we have forgotten?

I believe if this Mosque is built on or near Ground Zero then America will gain NEW hatred for Muslims, even Muslims who disagree and and are not a part of it. Something as tragic as 9/11 will never be forgotten.

But I then read: To stop the war, stop hating the enemy." ~Pema Chodron
"Speak well of your enemies, after you made them." ~unknown

on Dec. 29 2010 at 9:28 am
i agree with you that sometimes its easier to just stand mute.