Muslims: Looking Past the Hijab

You see them around and you stare at them, because they are different, because of how they dress, and the language they speak. They are just people like the rest of us. Do people stare at you because you wear a cross around your neck? Do they point and laugh when you are dressed up walking into a church? Do they mock you when you pray? Chances are no. That's because we are taught that our religion is normal, and usually we are not taught about other religions, or other cultures. So we do not have the capability to realize that that is their religion, their beliefs, and that they have as much rights as we do to express their freedom of religion. You have to be able to see underneath the burkas, (The traditional clothing of the Muslim women) to see past that layer of religious prejudice. Once you are able to you will be able to see the wonderful, intelligent, and kind people that they really are. So please, next time you see them do not point and laugh or stare at them trying to figure out who they are, take some time and get to know them before you start labeling them. Don't judge a book by it's cover.

Medina D. said...
Nov. 24, 2010 at 11:33 am:
yeah it gets annoying when people associate all muslims with hyjabs.............

dewdrops replied...
Nov. 24, 2010 at 3:01 pm :
Well, sorry if i offended you, but I am referring to the prejudice towards hijab wearing muslims.

amaranth178 said...
I agree that including the example of your friend would help develop your point, although examples from well-known papers or journals (research) would really strengthen your argument. Your point "see past that layer of religious prejudice" can be misread to say that said layer is on burka-wearers and I am pretty sure that was not what you were trying to say :)

amaranth178 replied...
Oct. 11, 2010 at 5:40 pm :
Certain sentences, in my opinion, could be rephrased as, if one skims, one understands, but if one ponders each sentence for what it says, there are several points that are unclear or do not support your point. ('Chances' are also rather difficult to discuss unless you have legitimate statistics and a trsuted source).

dewdrops replied...
Oct. 11, 2010 at 7:50 pm :
Thanks for the advice!

dewdrops said...
Oct. 7, 2010 at 8:37 am:
Please comment! Constructive criticism appreciated.

FayrouzThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 8, 2010 at 6:00 pm :
I liked your article because its sincerity is genuine. I believe you could have strengthened the actual piece by adding the bit about your friend in the essay, instead of just on the side. But it has an overall good message. I have a humorous article about the hi*j*a*b under my name that you might want to check out if you have time. Good luck with your writing! I hope more people will have views like yours!