Against Same-Sex Marriage | Teen Ink

Against Same-Sex Marriage

September 3, 2010
By Sammi10 SILVER, Thornton, Colorado
Sammi10 SILVER, Thornton, Colorado
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Over the years same-sex marriage has been redefining the meaning of matrimony. Support for same-sex marriage has drastically increased, according to The New York Times. For example, only 17% of the population in Idaho supported same-sex marriage in 1994-1996. Now, a staggering 33% of the population supports same-sex marriage. Even though this is the case, 41 states in the U.S. accurately define marriage as between man and woman. Therefore, support may be rising for this unnatural act, but a push is being made to keep the status quo of marriage between a man and a woman. This is why gay marriage in the United States should not be permitted under any circumstances. It is un-natural because marriage should be reserved between man and woman.
Religion plays a big part in marriages between couples. According to the website of the National Conference of State Legislatures, “Same-sex marriage is not supported by Christianity, most branches of Islam, and Orthodox Judaism”. Marriage between same-sex couples can be offensive to these religions and soon divide them due to such a controversial issue. The last thing we would want to do is cause severe disagreements throughout such a religiously diverse country. In addition, certain people might become excluded from religions on account of different beliefs or qualities.
Education has been adapting to the changes in this modern world, so as the issue of same-sex marriage continues to grow we will begin to include such topics in school. This is an inappropriate subject to add in a schools curriculum and will end up being uncomfortable to not only parents, but also the students learning the material. If parents of the students are a couple of the same gender, problems between schools and the community may arise. Support for those schools will deteriorate slowly and leave many students uneducated.
Marriage between man and man or woman and woman is un-natural. It contradicts with the meaning of a family. It is not humanly possible for couples of the same gender to conceive children. If the rate of same-sex marriage continued to ascend, the quantity of children may descend.
According to lectlaw.com the definition of marriage is “A contract made in due form of law, by which a free man and a free woman reciprocally engage to live with each other during their joint lives, in the union which ought to exist between husband and wife.” Same-sex marriage has been modifying the definition of marriage as the idea of same-sex couples is rising. If this continues to grow more popular, then straight marriage will become less meaningful. If this happens, the manifestation of marriages between couples of the same gender may become even more excessive than marriages between a man and a woman.
Others may argue that gay-marriages should be permitted throughout the U.S., but


what they do not consider is how it will affect the United States over the years. As of now a decrease in population might help us positively, but if same-sex marriage began to flourish sometime in the future the United States new generations would get smaller and smaller and so on. Not permitting same-sex marriage does not interfere with anyone’s rights. It gives limitation on how much we can go around the lines before going too far. There are no solid reasons for why same-sex marriages could benefit the United States in any way.