Gay Marriage. Why it Should be Legalized

Gay marriage should be legalized because it is uncivilized and unmerited. Our civil rights and the Constitution give us many liberties. One of our civil liberties is the pursuit of happiness, which homosexual people are not allowed to chase. They cannot be married to the person they love and it violates their freedoms. According to professorshouse.com, “In Alaska, Nevada, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Nebraska, Missouri, Michigan, North Dakota, Ohio, Kentucky, Oklahoma, Kansas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Georgia, Mississippi, Texas, and Alabama, not only is gay marriage banned, but so are civil partnerships.”

Others might ask why gay marriage should be legalized, but my question is this: why should other people be able to choose who marries who? If a man and a woman get married, no one seems to care. They are two people who feel affection for one another and those two people want to start a family. If we change the scenario a little bit and a man and a man, or a woman and a woman, try to get married it causes uproar. They are not allowed to be married or raise a family together.

Imagine waking up one day to a world that was completely opposite from the world we went to sleep in, meaning gay people are now straight and all straight people are now gay. Do you think the newly straight people would fight for the newly homosexual people’s rights? America is the land of the free, but we are not free to marry whomever we would like. After everything straight people have put homosexual people through, in this scenario, homosexual people would most likely vote for their rights because they would want their rights to be voted for. We are equals in this world whether we are Black, White, Hispanic, Indian, or any other race for that matter. Why should we not be equals based on sexual orientation?

The 1st amendment of the Constitution states that a person’s religious beliefs or a lack of thereof must be protected. Legislatures also cannot discriminate against marriages of the minority party which, homosexual people fall into that category. There is also an amendment stating there is separation of church and state, so you cannot declare that a marriage is a gift from God.

In a marriage there is one thing that truly matters: love. Yes, other things are important too, but not one couple would make it to even asking someone to marry them if there was not some love. Las Vegas, Nevada is also known for being the place where many weddings occur which are annulled within one week. These marriages are not based off love, but simply a drunken night in Vegas. High divorce rates weaken what a marriage is defined as. Why are we not able to rewrite what a marriage stands for and make it include a homosexual marriage? The definition of love, according to dictionary.com is as follows: “Very strong affection: an intense feeling of tender affection and compassion.” If gay people feel this way then why shouldn’t they be able to be married? If they are happy with each other, said persons should be able to marry.
California, Hawaii, New York, and the District of Columbia all have domestic partnership laws and civil partnerships meaning it is almost a marriage without the matrimony. Civil partnerships also give couples the ability to have joint bank accounts, live in the same house, and pay bills together. Homosexual couples are not entitled to this in most states.
Marriage benefits should be available to all couples, no matter what. In places where gay marriages are banned, the gay couples are not able to have the same benefits as others. When filing for health care or insurance through a job, gay couples are not able to add each other on. Most loved ones, such as a spouse or a child, in a straight marriage, can make life altering decisions in a hospital if need be. Since gay marriage is not legal, said person’s spouse is not recognized as their next of kin and care is delayed.

Who would be affected if homosexual marriage was legalized? No one. Everyone believes there is one person who is out there to love us. Gay people feel the same way. Parenthood is a benefit of marriage and gay couples cannot have children by themselves, without some type of help, so they look to adoption agencies. In some cases gay couples are put on longer waiting lists or denied completely. There are other benefits to being married as well, such as tax breaks. On the website professorshouse.com it reads, “When we hit our mid-thirties, we wanted only true friendships- friendships that were durable.” This is a perfect example of matrimony and what it should be based on. . According to dictionary.com a marriage is, “The legal or religious ceremony that formalizes the decision of two people to live as a married couple, including the accompanying social festivities.” If this is a marriage why are gay people not included in this?

Even though gay marriage should be legalized, some people have different beliefs. In most religions including, Christianity, Islam, and Orthodox Judaism same sex preferences are a sin. People believe in procreation to repopulate the world, but are against gay marriage and homosexuals adopting children because they cannot procreate on their own. If this is a stand point on making or breaking gay marriage then only people who are fertile and want to procreate should be able to get married according to this bias. America has never really given gay marriage a chance, but they believe gay marriage will weaken its institution by leading to high divorce rates. On loveandpride.com I read, “One reason legislatures are denying gay marriage is because they are fearful that opening the door to allowing gay marriages will open the door to polygamy as well. This would also mean reopening cases about polygamy in the past which they are not willing to do.” Others are fearful for children’s futures and they fear being raised by two fathers or by two mothers may compromise children’s mental capacities.

Even though to most people gay marriage should be illegal and should stay in its current state, I believe we need to change the world for future generations. We feared that different religions were going to clash, but now all of the religions coexist. White people had Black and Hispanic slaves, but we overcame the odds and now White men, Black men, and Hispanic men can be equals. If it is possible to overcome such fierce obstacles then we can overcome the boundary obstructing gay marriages and straight marriages alike. Gay marriage should be legalized for these reasons. Evolution will always continue and at any given point in time, something will occur that we will not like in this world, but we can overcome this. Gay marriage is a controversial issue that people have been fighting for years and it has finally come to the surface. We should take charge of it.

person said...
Jun. 21 at 9:16 pm
This essay is completelytrue. While I myself am not homosexual, I believe that two people in love should be allowed to pursue a life together

Robert321 said...
May 12 at 9:55 pm
They deserve to be equal yes, but you say that separation of state and church is a key here, (even though the state was created from the Church *Cough* *Cough*) but in reality it comes down to morale, nature and survival of the fittest. What species is created to never have kids? NONE!!! Thats what gay relationships are. Fruitless acts, I have a gay uncle and have no ill feeling to him or any other gay person and I do agree there should be some legal binding, it should NOT be marriage. Back to s... (more »)

@fanny replied...
Jun. 4 at 10:34 am
you say that the relationship is fruitless ergo heterosexul couples who are unfortunately sterile and heterosexual elderly couples who wish to marry and cannot have children should not be allowed to marry but have some other type for legal binding? and as for the preachers, the institution of marriage and the legality falls under that of the constitution so if marriage is to be done legally a justice of the peace can direct the marriage. as for the breaking of the tenth amendment, by not allowin... (more »)

wellduh replied...
Aug. 21 at 12:20 am
homophobes: kids deserve a mom and a dad homophobes: *disown their gay child so they have neither*

Brendaaa said...
Apr. 25 at 11:43 pm
Gay marriage should not be allowed . That's a sin , well everyone says " I've sined before what difference does it make " if u sin once why sin again . everyone should have the right to a mom and a dad not a dad and dad mom or mom God put everyone in this world for a woman and man to be together to have kids . I am against gay marriage

holly312456879 replied...
Apr. 28 at 12:51 pm
That's simply your opinion and guess what, it's WRONG. Gays deserve love an security just as anyone else does. Where there is love, there Is God. So I have two words to say. Suck. It.

jasssssss07019 replied...
Apr. 30 at 10:18 am
@Brendaaa No one cares if your against it. We have our opinions and you have yours. EVERYONE sins EVERYDAY! God still loves us after every time we have sinned.

@fanny replied...
Jun. 4 at 10:38 am
youre allowed to that opinion because this is america after all however not everyone shares it so you cannot speak for all. and if we all have the right to both of these then what will happen to single parent households? be happy with religion but dont mix it with the state. if we did that then no minority ever could properly get equal rights

@flowerpower replied...
Jul. 2 at 2:39 am
Ok @fanny you do not understand you. Why did you go and say household and single parents? You know why their single? because they wanted to be single or they sin too. So, answer this correctly. Why can't two human beings with...I don't know souls and feelings..especially heart can peacefully marry each other? I mean why cant marry each other and then man and woman can? Please do not say god says so or even everyone has their opinion because to me it doesn't make any sense to me.

cycy760 said...
Apr. 16 at 11:17 am
You can now tag other users by using "@". Gays deserve love to. If they want to be together that doesn't affect your personal life in any way shape or form. All they want is to finally get married like straight couples. They want there rights. I've been doing a research paper on the pros and cons of gay marriage and all the cons say is "its unnatural" "its against the lord" but God is forgiving, if he can forgive a murderer or a rapist, then he can defiantly forgive two people who are in love. T... (more »)

savage_princess said...
Apr. 15 at 9:43 am
You can now tag other users by using "@".

dd23 said...
Mar. 13 at 12:02 pm
When was your article published? Also, would you be able to provide me with your name? I'm using this article as a citation for my research project.

jollygrad said...
Mar. 5 at 2:34 am
Everybody that disapproves with gay marriage and judge gays are sinners. God said that we shall not judge everyone will be judged when we go to him when we pass. So everybody should just let people live they're lives and not judge.

N0@H201402 replied...
Mar. 25 at 4:43 am
Christians are not supposed to judge, yeah everyone will be judged on judgement day. The christians are supposed to come from a loving perspective, they're supposed to warn the gay couples, out of love and because they don't want them going to hell, but a lot of christians or any religious people are mislead and don't always know that. Thats why a lot of people look down on religion, they look like they judge (and some do) but the christians are not supposed to judge they're supposed to warn. C... (more »)

Godlovesgaystoo said...
Feb. 21 at 5:35 pm
I believe in god, and your blatant lack of human compassion sickens me (ppl in comments). God made all people equal, and he made homosexuals too. To think they don't deserve a happy life is sad. Getting married and driving drunk are different, and you know that. Don't be childish, if you truly consider yourself a believer how could you say that Jesus or even god himself would ever shun anyone for being the way they were born. I applaud the authors courage here in writing this, all of us here in ... (more »)

N0@H201402 replied...
Feb. 27 at 5:04 am
First of all, when you mention God make "G" a capital. Second God didn't make people into homosexuals, it's a choice and it's people's sinful nature (you can look that up about sinful nature and feeding our flesh). God made Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve. Obviously there was a reason to making one man and one woman. I feel the author is not coming from a logical point but more a pathos point of view and the article lacks facts and evidence. e.g "Who would be affected if homosexual marriage wa... (more »)

Forgays replied...
Mar. 12 at 9:59 pm
How does it violet people's rights to practice religion? Atheists get married.

N0@H201402 replied...
Mar. 25 at 4:32 am
i just said it VIOLATES peoples rights to practice religion because if a pastor or priest does not want to marry a gay couple (because it says in the bible but nothing about atheist getting married) then they are forced by law. Otherwise they could be taken to court for "discriminating gay people".

Savvior95 replied...
Apr. 25 at 7:20 pm
Hey Noah. Listen idiot. The author is merely talking about the legality marriage within the law, not the church. Marriage within the church is not up to congress to decide.

AshesFeu replied...
Jul. 12 at 3:48 pm
@N0@h201402 just saying, yes Adam and Eve were made to be able to keep the planet alive. As of right now, the planet is overpopulated, so and "Adam and Steve" relationship really wouldn't affect the world's population in any way that harms it. if a Pastor or Priest chooses notto wed a couple, that couple can go to a different person to do so. God loves every one of his children. God created all living things, did he not? Homosexuality is actually in the genetics of a person, it is in their biolo... (more »)