Same Sex Marriage | Teen Ink

Same Sex Marriage

By AlexisMuniz SILVER, Thorton, Colorado
AlexisMuniz SILVER, Thorton, Colorado

Same sex marriage is one of the most controversial issues happening in the world today. There are many different opinions on this subject. Homosexual people are regular people too. They deserve to have the same respect, dignity, love, and rights as anyone else. Same sex couples should be able to get married and have a family just like any other couple, instead of being denied their relationship. It is in no way wrong to be gay and people do not realize negative situations that gay or lesbian people have to go through.
There are some people that believe that being gay or lesbian is a choice that can easily be changed. Some believe that it is inborn and it cannot be changed. Scientists have not come up with proof that there is a “gay gene” or that it is somehow involved with the way you are developed. However, there was a study done on twins that may give us an idea. The studies show that identical twins have a resemblance in their sexual orientation more than fraternal twins, because they share genes that are exactly the same. This shows that there is a possibility that being homosexual is in some way genetic. There was also a study done that showed that women who have steroids in the womb have a higher chance of having a homosexual child and men who have older brothers have a higher chance of turning out to be gay.
Same sex couples tend to be discriminated against and don’t have the same rights as others. This includes not being able to get married, not being able to have a family with kids, and having other problems that they shouldn’t have to have. If their spouse is in the hospital, shouldn’t they have the right to visit them and make medical decisions? Many people don’t think so. Although, instead of just accepting what people think, many different cities like San Francisco, New York City, Chicago, Denver, Los Angeles, San Diego, and Boston, have Gay and Lesbian Pride Parades every year to celebrate how proud they are to be themselves. They also come together to try to stop all of the discrimination and encourage gay marriage to become legalized.
There are nineteen states in the United States that ban gay marriages with no exceptions: Alaska, Nevada, Montana, Utah, Oregon, Nebraska, Missouri, Michigan, North Dakota, Ohio, Kentucky, Oklahoma, Kansas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Georgia, Mississippi, Texas, and Alabama. There is only one state that will actually perform a same sex wedding: Massachusetts. Most of the other states in between have guidelines on same sex couples and what they are or are not allowed to do. Many couples try to travel to Massachusetts to get married and then go back to their homes, but the state denies any marriage license if their home state does not allow it.
In the World, there are 6 to 10 million committed gay or lesbian couples. In the United States only, there is about 601, 209. One third of lesbian and one fifth of gay couples have children. If there are kids involved in the relationship, they should be able to have two parents just like any other child.
Same sex marriage is a topic that is argued about all the time. Most young people are prochoice, while older people are totally against it. The Democrats are for it, and Republicans are not. People who are against it do not understand how hurtful it is to the people who have to go through all of the hate. If two people are in love, they should have the same rights as anyone else to be together. Being gay or lesbian is not a choice. The choice is whether they are brave enough to come out. It is not changeable, it is just the person they are. They should just be accepted, no matter who they love, what they want, and the choices they make.