Prejudice Against Teen Moms? Think Again. | Teen Ink

Prejudice Against Teen Moms? Think Again.

By Emmasmommy4610 SILVER, Ocean Shores, Washington
Emmasmommy4610 SILVER, Ocean Shores, Washington

"If you don't hit the ground hard, you'll never know what its like to get up and learn to fly."

“Look, she’s pregnant. How old do you think she is?” We’ve all heard it, saw it, and experienced society’s prejudice outlook on teen moms. We hear about the statistics, the welfare, and the inability that goes with it. Most people agree that teen moms are less likely to have strong futures. Has anyone taken the time to look at teen moms who are leading successful lives and who have beautiful, healthy, happy babies? I think it’s time people do.

Teen pregnancy is said to be declining, but I don’t believe it. I myself am a mom at 17…I have a beautiful six-week old daughter who is thriving and happy. Was I ready? Of course not. Something happens when you get pregnant, though. You grow up. Having a baby has changed my life. While most of my friends are out drinking, partying, and being care-free I’m at home taking care of a baby and focusing on school work. I’m planning my future. I honestly don’t think it would be that way had I not gotten pregnant.

Believe me, when I got pregnant everyone thought abortion would be the way to go. Abortion, in my opinion, is murder and its for girls who want the easy way out. I made her, and by doing so I took on the responsibility of a baby.

People need to understand that not all teen moms are low life, poor, sad girls. It’s not fair for the society to be so prejudice against teen parents. Age is a number. It doesn’t define who you are, what you can or can not do, or your ability as a person to be a mom. It’s time that people really start to look at the positive side of pregnancy and teen parenting. Many teens have really changed their lives around because of their bab(y)(ies). I’m not trying to paint a picture of all teen parents coming clean and living healthier lives. What I’m simply saying is that not all teen moms are unable.

Yes, your tax dollars pay for a lot of babies. What would you rather them pay for? Rehab for druggies that get out and use again? A new road that isn’t really needed? A fancier bridge across the lake? Think about it. Your tax money may be paying the way for many teen parents and their children…but wouldn’t you rather the money go to life and helping a mother and child out than other things? It’s time to step back and think about that for a minute.

Next time you see a teen mom, don’t judge them. You have no idea what their life is like or how they got pregnant. That being said, I am completely against teens trying to conceive. No teen is 100% ready for a baby, regardless of what they say. With babies come stuggles. A lot of girls aren’t ready for the struggles that come, either. Waking up at all odd hours of the night to feed and change a baby isn’t easy, nor fun. However, watching them grow and change is incredible. You have to take the good with the bad. A lot of teen girls don’t understand what raising a baby truly takes.
So, before you judge me or any other teen mom, really think first. Is it worth getting upset over? Is it easier to judge us than to appreciate us like any other mom out there? Being a mom is hard work, and being a teenage mother is even harder. Help us by appreciating us and looking at the positive side. Life is incredible, and not one person on this planet has the right to say when or where a woman can bear a child and experience the joys of motherhood.

Being a teen mother is hard work. I want to see more people understand and less people judge. Society is rough, but it can be a little easier on everyone if prejudice ends.

ashpo20 said...
on Mar. 29 2012 at 1:09 pm

At age 17 i had my daughter. I finished my junior year without anyone knowing I was pregnant. I was embarrassed bc i know people were going to have their negative comments and everything. But when summer came i took it into my own hands and every one knew. I had her in september and i went back to school a couple weeks after. I was doing online classes for the 1st nine weeks, so i was caught up in all my classes. I graduated on time with my class and now i am almost finished with my 1st year of college and with 1 full time job and a part time job on the side. So i definitely agree; dont judge US. By us having kids so young it's just the push you need to know that you need to make something of yourself for this baby, for everyone who doubted you & most importantly YOURSELF. PLUS teen moms get right back in shape faster ;] but to all teens out there yeah look at me i did it and im doing fine but that may not be every ones case. Babies are cute and fun and it is an amazing learning & growing experience but it is THE hardest journey i have ever known.

kitty said...
on May. 19 2011 at 11:29 am
it is cute

Lily said...
on Mar. 24 2011 at 7:38 am
I strongly agree with you..  The society should stop prejudicing against teen mom and help them instead. Teen mom need helps and supports not critics or insult or discrimination.. I really hope that you will have great times with your daughter.. Hope you will become a better mom for your daughter with each day passing.. Sorry if I say something wrong... My English is not that good... ^^

on Mar. 23 2011 at 2:53 pm
I saw the title of your artcile caught my eye right away. Everything that you wrote, I can totally understand your point of veiw, and I believe that you are an inspiration to so many other teen moms in our world. Keep up the good work, b/c being a mother sounds difficult, but from what i read in your article, I think you make a great mother to your child. Good luck & God Bless

Eilatan GOLD said...
on Jul. 9 2010 at 3:47 pm
Eilatan GOLD, Old Greenwich, Connecticut

"Nobody is normal. Everybody in the world is a weirdo freak. Except you, which makes you a weirdo freak."

wow...

this is so powerful! I love it! I completely agree- there's way too much prejudice about that kind of thing. It's so great that you love your daughter and are willing to stand up for other girls out there in your same situation. good job, girl. never give up hope, I'm rooting for you!

on Jul. 2 2010 at 11:29 am

Of course! I beleive that some of the most ignored things are also some of the most important.