Prejudice Against Teen Moms? Think Again. | Teen Ink

Prejudice Against Teen Moms? Think Again.

May 22, 2010
By Emmasmommy4610 SILVER, Ocean Shores, Washington
Emmasmommy4610 SILVER, Ocean Shores, Washington
6 articles 2 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you don't hit the ground hard, you'll never know what its like to get up and learn to fly."


“Look, she’s pregnant. How old do you think she is?” We’ve all heard it, saw it, and experienced society’s prejudice outlook on teen moms. We hear about the statistics, the welfare, and the inability that goes with it. Most people agree that teen moms are less likely to have strong futures. Has anyone taken the time to look at teen moms who are leading successful lives and who have beautiful, healthy, happy babies? I think it’s time people do.

Teen pregnancy is said to be declining, but I don’t believe it. I myself am a mom at 17…I have a beautiful six-week old daughter who is thriving and happy. Was I ready? Of course not. Something happens when you get pregnant, though. You grow up. Having a baby has changed my life. While most of my friends are out drinking, partying, and being care-free I’m at home taking care of a baby and focusing on school work. I’m planning my future. I honestly don’t think it would be that way had I not gotten pregnant.

Believe me, when I got pregnant everyone thought abortion would be the way to go. Abortion, in my opinion, is murder and its for girls who want the easy way out. I made her, and by doing so I took on the responsibility of a baby.

People need to understand that not all teen moms are low life, poor, sad girls. It’s not fair for the society to be so prejudice against teen parents. Age is a number. It doesn’t define who you are, what you can or can not do, or your ability as a person to be a mom. It’s time that people really start to look at the positive side of pregnancy and teen parenting. Many teens have really changed their lives around because of their bab(y)(ies). I’m not trying to paint a picture of all teen parents coming clean and living healthier lives. What I’m simply saying is that not all teen moms are unable.

Yes, your tax dollars pay for a lot of babies. What would you rather them pay for? Rehab for druggies that get out and use again? A new road that isn’t really needed? A fancier bridge across the lake? Think about it. Your tax money may be paying the way for many teen parents and their children…but wouldn’t you rather the money go to life and helping a mother and child out than other things? It’s time to step back and think about that for a minute.

Next time you see a teen mom, don’t judge them. You have no idea what their life is like or how they got pregnant. That being said, I am completely against teens trying to conceive. No teen is 100% ready for a baby, regardless of what they say. With babies come stuggles. A lot of girls aren’t ready for the struggles that come, either. Waking up at all odd hours of the night to feed and change a baby isn’t easy, nor fun. However, watching them grow and change is incredible. You have to take the good with the bad. A lot of teen girls don’t understand what raising a baby truly takes.
So, before you judge me or any other teen mom, really think first. Is it worth getting upset over? Is it easier to judge us than to appreciate us like any other mom out there? Being a mom is hard work, and being a teenage mother is even harder. Help us by appreciating us and looking at the positive side. Life is incredible, and not one person on this planet has the right to say when or where a woman can bear a child and experience the joys of motherhood.


The author's comments:
Being a teen mother is hard work. I want to see more people understand and less people judge. Society is rough, but it can be a little easier on everyone if prejudice ends.