Racism | Teen Ink

Racism

By Rafael103195 BRONZE, Houston, Texas
Rafael103195 BRONZE, Houston, Texas

Racism is like a virus, passed from one generation to the next. A sneeze from a parent can quickly infect the child. Contagious as it is, it affects all people, regardless of race, sex, or socioeconomic background. As much as we hate to admit it, there are probably few people in the world, if any, who haven’t thought stereotypical thoughts or said racist comments about another group. However, racism hurts, and racist comments can make a huge negative impact on a person’s life. We often seem to forget the pain we experience when we are discriminated against, and we feel strangely comfortable criticizing others. Remaining unseen by us, the more we discriminate, the less respect we have for other groups, and the less human those individuals become.
There is almost no worst feeling than the feeling you get when you are discriminated against. When someone makes a derogatory comment about your race, or tells you of their negative feelings toward your culture, you begin to feel a deep sadness. One that cannot be mended with a simple “I’m sorry.” Over time, repeated offences can begin to make a person feel embarrassed to be who they are.
But what we must remember is that all cultures are beautiful. Differences should be welcomed with open arms, not ridiculed and rejected. As of 2008, in America alone 75% of people are white, 15.4% Hispanic, 12.4% African-American, and 4.4% Asian. With a government system set up on equality, you would believe that the same concept would apply socially as well. Obviously we are different from one another, so why can’t we just embrace those differences? They can be exciting! Who would want a world where everyone looks the same?
Personally, I have been discriminated against many times, made to feel inferior to others. As an African-American, people seem to have no problem with insulting my race and culture directly in my face. People have told me how they believe African-Americans talk, or asked why I don’t talk this way, and have even gone to the extreme as to make noises at me as if I am directly from Africa. When they can see that I am obviously insulted, as most others would, some have accused me of being too sensitive about my race, as if I am the one with the problem. Excuse me if I do not take kindly to being referred to using racial slurs or being mistreated for something I have no control over. If only they knew and understood the repeated offences that people make towards my race.
This is when we know we have a problem. When someone can comfortably, in their good conscience, go up to another and insult their race, something must be done before the racism virus attacks our next generation. This virus cannot be cured with an amendment to the Constitution. This virus cannot be cured by a presidential address. This virus can only be cured by changing ourselves. The only thing that should be hated – is racism. “Embrace differences. They keep the world exciting and diverse.”

truegal4ever said...
on May. 28 2010 at 8:42 pm
truegal4ever, Seattle, Washington

Don't let life discourage you; everyone who got where he is had to begin where he was.

Richard L. Evans

I really enjoyed reading your article. Racism is a virus. A virus that needs to be stopped. While I was reading your article, a thought came to my head, well a couple thoughts. First, I asked myself why people are racist towards other people when we all bleed the same blood. And second, why are people racist if we were all placed onto this earth by the same god? ~Mia

on May. 17 2010 at 10:00 am
MetalChick93 BRONZE, West Harisson, Indiana

Love is as beautiful as a wild rose, calm and giving, but willing to draw blood in it's defense. - Mark Olsen

this is so true. you have a way with words that express both the way you percive racism, and the way the reader or victim would pick up on it...very enlightening...you should check out my poetry sometime...