Phoebe Prince Bullies and Suicide

Phoebe Prince was a gorgeous 15- year old Irish immigrant who was bullied and tormented for nearly three months until she committed suicide on Jan 14. Students would constantly harass Phoebe via text messaging and on facebook.

The students who harassed Phoebe were girls who were jealous that she dated a popular older football player. The bullies would shove Phoebe into lockers, call her an “Irish Whore”, and even wrote on her facebook wall that she should kill herself. South Hadley High School (where Phoebe and the bullies attended) were completely aware of numerous incidents involving Phoebe, but never did anything.
The small Massachusetts community of South Hadley was outraged that the school never took action to solve this issue. Parents attended a meeting earlier this week and asked that the principal, superintendent, and school board members step down. Deaf ears met this.
The nine students who bullied Phoebe face charges as adults, with stalking and violation of civil rights resulting in bodily injury. A mother of one defendant says the bullies bare no responsibility for Phoebe’s death.
The story of Phoebe Prince outraged me because I am a bully victim. I was called names, pushed around, and beat up by people who called themselves “friends”. This went on for years (elementary through 10th grade) and no one did anything. I spent Jr. High ditching school and very angry. Just like Phoebe, I told the school, but it was never dealt with. I was picked on for being smart, being reserved, and for liking different stuff. My torture finally ended when I switched school districts this school year. At my new school I am a straight A student.
Now, hearing Phoebe’s story and mine what is your take on bullying? Do you think there should be legislation against bullying? Have you ever been bullied?

Please go to: http://www.phoebeslaw.com/ sign the guestbook and find out how to send a email to your state legislator.

I think it's time for change

JoPepperThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 21, 2011 at 5:04 pm:

I wish i could've done something for Phoebe. There's a music/music video in the video section.  It is inspired by Phoebe, I almost cried while watching it! :((

That sucks that no one did anything to help you.  No one should have to expeirience that:/

Kairi_McEwinThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 20, 2010 at 9:33 am:
RIP PHOEBE!!!!!!!

C. said...
May 1, 2010 at 1:18 pm:
I agree with you it time to change no body should go through what she did. nobody dhould kill them self