The Dream Act | Teen Ink

The Dream Act

By Joan_G BRONZE, Dallas, Texas
Joan_G BRONZE, Dallas, Texas
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world" --Gandhi

Many argue that America has no culture. America does have culture- a strange but beautiful combination of the culture of thousands of immigrants who settle in the US annually. These immigrants have brought their culture to the US and in one way or another; they’ve made a change in the country, whether through economy, education, work, or the military force. Because immigrants continue to move to the US and because without them we would be a completely different country, immigration needs to be addressed through a comprehensible immigration reform soon; a reform that will especially affect our youth, being that they are our future generation and a reflection of our American ideals.
In 2007, the Dream Act was introduced. The Dream Act (Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors Act) offers legalization for illegal immigrants through education. This act will open up opportunities for a population that is essentially already American and who through their academic achievements and clean criminal records, have proven themselves able to be true responsible, active, intelligent, productive American citizens. The only fact that distinguishes them is the title of being ‘undocumented’, however they are minors. They had no fault or say in their parents’ decision to migrate to the United States. Dr. Amelie Constant, a specialist in immigration issues and strong supporter of the Dream Act states, “Children should not be penalized for their parents’ actions. It is our duty as a nation to equip these children, to educate and train them. The bigger tragedy here is the idea of differing legal status within families, often splitting families apart”. The US has educated these children so why not open up opportunities for them to expand and enter universities, to work jobs that are in high demand, to have government positions. What good is there if they finish high school in the US yet all that awaits them is illegal jobs, discrimination, and time wasted. The chancellor at the University of California Berkeley and also a supporter of the Dream act, Richard Birgeneau, states “We've invested in these students for more than a decade, from kindergarten through high school. They've worked hard, and then they find the American dream is not readily available to them. Our country needs these people. These are the kind of people who have made great and will continue to make great.” Some might argue that by passing the Dream act, we’d be rewarding their act of coming here illegally however that isn’t true- we’re rewarding their hard work and struggles despite being illegal and knowing that possibly their work won’t be acknowledged.
One way to become legal is through marrying an American citizen, however through education, the US could be benefited in the economy and the military sector. The parents of these students were unhappy with their native country and saw America as a land of opportunity for both them and their children. America should admit we need them- they are willing and open to take any job that most Americans would shy away from, such as in the fields. Currently, the army is also in need of soldiers who have graduated from high school, are determined, and knowledgeable of the military procedures. Immigrants who follow the Dream Act can be the solution. Would we rather have uneducated and undisciplined American soldiers or educated, trained, and prepared Mexican American soldiers or Asian American soldiers? Senator Dick Durbin states, “Those young men and women, given a chance to serve in the military, will be citizens of this country someday who will make an important contribution, as all of our veterans do. Those who choose to go to college are on a path to becoming tomorrow's doctors and nurses and researchers and businesspeople--the kind of energy every society needs and the kind of energy that has built this great country we have today.” Our society will be complete and will improve if we give this opportunity to undocumented students.
It is important to also know that the Dream Act isn’t simply a bill that legalizes everyone automatically as the opponents of the bill might assume- undocumented immigrants have to work hard and be patient. The Dream Act will apply if you came to the United States before the age of 16, have lived in the US for at least 5 years, and if you’ve graduated from high school or have completed either 2 years of college or 2 years of service in the military. If these requirements have been met, there would be a six year temporary residency, where if everything is completed, then permanent residency and possibly citizenship would be granted. Some opponents might argue that American taxpayer money shouldn’t be given to non-Americans; however it is important to realize we’ve invested in their education up to high school so it would be a waste of time and money to not follow through when they’ve shown they are truly interested in giving back to the US.
Overall, the Dream Act would be a great incentive to finish an education, the working force would improve, there would be an increase in the military and there would be lower crime rates. Essentially, by passing it, all sectors of American society will benefit. Giving the opportunity is simply a right humane thing to do.

By this article, I hope more people open their eyes towards acceptance and tolerance. The Dream Act must pass in order to provide a better life for thousands of undocumented minors who deserve it and who've worked hard for it.

NAGELICA said...
i can agree

sandyy said...
I love tis research, helps out alot with mine because i didnt knou of proper language so that I wouldn't ofend anyone.

JESPINo14 said...
I completely agree and in fact look up to you for having such pride in your culture. We are frowned upon in this country and our hard work isn't pointed out as much as our flaws are. Instead of always calling us out because of our illegal status why are we not rewarded for all the hard work we do for such little pay! The talk of immigration always gets me angry.

LR:D said...
i like the information on the articel. helps me with my own research but u should not call immigrants that come to this country the proper way "illegel". no human being is ilegal. some people get offended by that even though the media uses it all the time. the proper way would be undocumented

princess6 GOLD said...
princess6 GOLD, Berwyn, Illinois

"You choose your own destiny" :)

I'm a proud Mexican, and in fact many of my relatives were immigrants now proud American citizens . The immigration topic is one of the hardest topics for me to hear about because it's the one closest to my heart. My point is people come here for a better future and to live out the American dream and we shall not penalize them for doing so. ;)

Joan_G BRONZE said...
Joan_G BRONZE, Dallas, Texas
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

thank you all for your comments!

Anise said...
on May. 3 2010 at 11:30 am
Hmm, so there does exist a fine line between acceptance and tolerance and people DO feel and recognize the difference?  Quite poignant...not surprised, coming from you!  So proud :)

on May. 3 2010 at 11:08 am
Paula Villanueva BRONZE, Dallas, Texas
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
can totally relate to this.very persuasive and effective with your arguments. :D

M&MS said...
on May. 3 2010 at 11:05 am
This article contains various facts that creates another view on the DREAM act where it is fully understanded. :D

KMN! said...
on May. 3 2010 at 11:01 am
This is boss. There was a consistently strong logical appeal throught the whole piece.