Flip-Flop Racism | Teen Ink

Flip-Flop Racism

March 8, 2010
By Margo BRONZE, Fort Dodge, Iowa
Margo BRONZE, Fort Dodge, Iowa
2 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The writer writes in order to teach himself, to understand himself, to satisfy himself, the publishing of his ideas, though it brings gratification, is a curious anti-climax." Alfred Kazin


Human Equality is all something we want to believe in. As much as I want to say it's possible, there's no way. There will always be people who hate those who are different. You can make laws to protect against it, you can force it underground, but racism exists. There are times I wonder if it isn't turning against the white community.

I was taking a test and I had to fill in the bubble for what race I was. There was African American, Asian American, Native American, European American, but the one I had to fill in was simply "White". Normally I don't care about labels like white and black. But I don't understand the double standard. Why can't I be just American?

Sonia Sotomayer was quoted as saying "I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life." Think about what had happened if a white man had said that about a latina woman. Would it have been recieved the same way? Would there have been hate letters? It's hard to say, since I doubt we'll find a white male politician willing to say it.

I'm happy that our country has come far enough that Racism is not longer legally allowed. Even thought I'm not really a fan of Obama, I'm glad that we're advanced enough to have a colored president. But part of me wonders if that's a major reason why people voted for him. It's possible to be racist in someone's favor. It still doesn't make it right. Martin Luther King Jr. said "I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character." That means judging them in their favor as well.

I know I could be called a bigot for writing this. It isn't politically correct. But it needs to be written. Let me be put under fire, let the insults fly, I don't care. If we're ever going to have even the semblance of equality, this is an issue to be adressed. Yes, heterosexual white males were responsible for a lot of segregation and oppression. But this isn't the 1800s, or the 1960s. We can't hold a race responsible for the crimes of their ancestors. While complete equality might be far-fetched, that doesn't mean we can't work against the things that keep us from it.


The author's comments:
This has actually been on my mind for a while. I know people will be angry about it, but I couldn't let it go unsaid...or rather, unwritten.