Is There A Difference? | Teen Ink

Is There A Difference?

February 26, 2010
By Preppy_Artist_97x SILVER, Hazleton, Pennsylvania
Preppy_Artist_97x SILVER, Hazleton, Pennsylvania
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If your head says no but your heart says yes, sometimes your gut can be helpful."


Being proud of your heritage is one thing. Thinking your race (whatever it may be) is the best one in existance is just wrong. I'm sure you've all heard of the Ku Klux Klan. They were a group of white supremacists who believed that blacks were beneath them. Our parents and political leaders all say that we've come a long way. But I challenge you to think for yourselves. Ask yourselves, "Have we gotten rid of our racism, or just shifted the focus of our racism?" Today we see that many people are racist against the Hispanic population in our cities and towns. I'm not saying that I never ever think or say things that are offensive, but I make a concious attempt not to. We need to accept our brothers and sisters, no matter what their race is. Many of our ancestors were once a minority. Up here in the Anthracite Coal Region, the Irish were blamed for alot of things that went wrong. I can't speak for another region of this country we call the USA, but I can guarantee you that at one point or another, your ancestors in that area were looked down on. So now I challenge you to look at yourself and say, "Am I being fair to brothers and sisters of other colors and opininons?" Because as Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. once said, "I have a dream that one day my children will not be judged by the coolor of their skin, but by the content of their character."