Shine Your Light | Teen Ink

Shine Your Light MAG

Life is not easy for anyone. People struggle, trying to get from day to day without too much heartache. What makes me different from others? I am overweight. I am the biggest person in my high school class of sixty kids. I have struggled my whole life to fit in and be accepted by my peers.

Ever since I can remember I have been conscious of my weight. The first time I was ridiculed was the first day of kindergarten since I was already overweight. My feelings were spared by no one. To all of my classmates, I was a freak. I was so young that I’m not sure I knew what was happening. Looking back now on how I was treated, I am filled with sadness at the thought that little children can be so cruel.

I remember having crushes on boys in elementary school and when they found out, they would be embarrassed. No one wanted the “fat girl” to like them. I was excluded even by those I called my friends. I was never considered “cool” or invited to my friends’ parties because they were embarrassed to have me around their other friends. People still thought I needed to be reminded daily that I was different, that I was fat.

As the years progressed, my classmates matured and learned what is socially correct. Some have stopped openly making fun of me, but I am still treated differently by many. Some friends still exclude me when they are around boys. I have never had a boyfriend, even though I have been told I have a great personality and a pretty face. I receive little attention from male classmates, most will not even treat me as a friend.

I can never understand why people are so put off by me. I am not ugly. I have exceptional hygiene. I wear makeup and have a good sense of fashion. I’ve tried a hundred times as hard as the next girl to be accepted.

Recently I have stopped caring whether I am liked by the “in crowd.” Who are those people anyway? They are the ones who go out every weekend drinking and making bad decisions. I want to be better. I am better. I don’t need others to tell me who I am.

I want to be liked and loved for who I am and who I am inside. I have so much to give, and I am tired of trying to give it away for free to people who don’t want it. I know now that I deserve something in return. Why should I humble myself to those who don’t deserve me on my worst days? I shouldn’t, and I won’t. Not anymore and never again.

Differences should be celebrated, not opposed. Why do we want everyone to be the same? How boring and dull the world would be! We should never let others bring us down. Our light is placed on this earth to shine, and I am ready to shine. I can only hope everyone else is ready too.

Jacksprak said...
on Jan. 31 2010 at 11:16 am
You go girl! I think that if the "cool" people could see deeper than your outward apperance, They woulda excepted you from the start. I think, from what you've written, that even if you were the uglyiest person, which by description you sertainly AREN'T, you would still have a golden light shine from inside of you. you are diferent, And I Think that is awsome. I really love this article becase it's more than just skin-deep, you have a diferance and you're going to selibrate it. You go girl! You Go!

biggerinfinities SILVER, Superior, Colorado

“We accept the love we think we deserve.”
― Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower

sooooooo true! and dont worry, the day will comee when a boy is way smarter that the rest, and can see your light

doverdrama SILVER, Dover, Delaware
i love love love love this!! i can totally relate!i have only had 1 boyfriend, but I feel like people don't see me as equal. i'm glad that now i have real frineds, who don't care about what i look like. i hope you can find friendship and love too.

aambeeer! BRONZE, Portia, Arkansas
I think it was good, and i can totally relate. (:

Dead-eyed-Author SILVER, London, Other
This sounds more like a long anecdote, but its still very good. I respect you for speaking out as I am in a slightly similiar position

Lilith said...
on Jan. 1 2009 at 7:47 am
I really like it! I'm glad to found someone that despite being bullied all her life, has the pride to say aloud how much she loves to be how she is!

And don't worry, you're not alone.

There are many people who are suffering the same way as you. But, as you say, we've only to SHINE OUR LIGHT!!

What a great article! I love it. It reminds me of one of the girls at my school who is very overweight. Everyone just knows her as "the fat girl", and countless jokes involving whales and cows have been thrown in her face. Yet, she doesn't handle it like you. Instead, she is mean and bitter and rude, and swears all the time. I think it is awesome that you recognize beauty is on the inside. Girl Power Forever!

striker0305 said...
I think this article is correct in most ways, as I can picture something like this happening at my school. However, one point that suprises me, as you say in the article you are tired of being made fun of, and you make your point across that you just don't care anymore about being judged but on one of the sentences you actually judge the 'in' crowd. You told us or as i infered that you do not hang out with them, well what makes you think that they are making all these wrong descisons, just because people like them? I know the in crowd at my school are pretty cool people they are people that other people want to hang out with because they are so cool, that's why they are popular not because of the bad things they do. I just don't think it is fair for you to judge others when you know how painful it can be for yourself to be judged.