Shine Your Light | Teen Ink

Shine Your Light MAG

Life is not easy for anyone. People struggle, trying to get from day to day without too much heartache. What makes me different from others? I am overweight. I am the biggest person in my high school class of sixty kids. I have struggled my whole life to fit in and be accepted by my peers.

Ever since I can remember I have been conscious of my weight. The first time I was ridiculed was the first day of kindergarten since I was already overweight. My feelings were spared by no one. To all of my classmates, I was a freak. I was so young that I’m not sure I knew what was happening. Looking back now on how I was treated, I am filled with sadness at the thought that little children can be so cruel.

I remember having crushes on boys in elementary school and when they found out, they would be embarrassed. No one wanted the “fat girl” to like them. I was excluded even by those I called my friends. I was never considered “cool” or invited to my friends’ parties because they were embarrassed to have me around their other friends. People still thought I needed to be reminded daily that I was different, that I was fat.

As the years progressed, my classmates matured and learned what is socially correct. Some have stopped openly making fun of me, but I am still treated differently by many. Some friends still exclude me when they are around boys. I have never had a boyfriend, even though I have been told I have a great personality and a pretty face. I receive little attention from male classmates, most will not even treat me as a friend.

I can never understand why people are so put off by me. I am not ugly. I have exceptional hygiene. I wear makeup and have a good sense of fashion. I’ve tried a hundred times as hard as the next girl to be accepted.

Recently I have stopped caring whether I am liked by the “in crowd.” Who are those people anyway? They are the ones who go out every weekend drinking and making bad decisions. I want to be better. I am better. I don’t need others to tell me who I am.

I want to be liked and loved for who I am and who I am inside. I have so much to give, and I am tired of trying to give it away for free to people who don’t want it. I know now that I deserve something in return. Why should I humble myself to those who don’t deserve me on my worst days? I shouldn’t, and I won’t. Not anymore and never again.

Differences should be celebrated, not opposed. Why do we want everyone to be the same? How boring and dull the world would be! We should never let others bring us down. Our light is placed on this earth to shine, and I am ready to shine. I can only hope everyone else is ready too.

Anna Hu said...
on Apr. 2 2015 at 12:20 am
Anna Hu, Rowland Heights, California
Sorry, is I feel so sad with that story

Anna Hu said...
on Apr. 2 2015 at 12:19 am
Anna Hu, Rowland Heights, California
Hi I'm Anna.H I feel so sad to do that,and I know that is true story,because I have same happen too. But my problem is not with fat. I just want to say no one is perfect,But you can change it, I believe you can! Not everything for you is good but you can make it perfect,if you want.

Jordan Zheng said...
Jordan Zheng, Rowland Heights, California
I think this story very well, it show us, when the girl fat times they classmate laugh she is a fat girl, this story very Inspirational, she teach me don't care other people think who you are or you are good person or bad person, we stii need have good life.

Matthew Sun said...
Matthew Sun, Rowland Heights, California
I’m so sad to hear of your story. Don’t worry about how people look at you. Just make friends with people who respect you. I would be your friend because I do not care about appearances, your social status. You are special, don’t give up! Be good!

Grace Wang said...
Grace Wang, Rowland Heights, California
Hi!I am Grace . I am glad to see you can send this article . When you have the brave to say . I think you are optimistic . I like this article because this is a true story . I can understand you . There are many question in the life . The life is hard . You should face to the hard hopeful . Please don't worry . I believe you can pull though all hard .

KevinMa said...
KevinMa, Rowland Heights, California

China

Do not feel sad,you need feel good,I have same question when I am in high school,just smile and you will be fine. You need make friend and people will like you,you will be ok,hope you can have a good life and you will be popular.

FrePac said...
I know how you feel... I felt the same way in high school.  It's like you have a mark on your forehead that all the cool kids can see that tells them you're not part of the tribe, but you can see it yourself.  A couple close friends are better than many fake friends.

Deliah GOLD said...
on Jul. 6 2012 at 11:50 am
Deliah GOLD, Narnia, Other
Susie, you have a lot to say. I'm so glad you posted this piece. Even though I am not overweight, I have struggled in many of the same ways you have described here. People, kids especially, can be cruel when they sense that somebody is different from them. Just continue doing what you're doing and taking care of yourself. As Lady Gaga said, you are "beautiful in (your) own way, cause God makes no mistakes." Keep on writing, I would love to see what else you have written:)

Harsh Patel said...
on Dec. 15 2010 at 9:33 am
Hi, I am harsh. I know you are suffering from overwieght. In my life I also  have problem to very thin. but you don,t worry You will be ok. I also suffer like you but I work hard. When I came to united states I suffer like you there was no one help me in my school but I take help of my teachers and I got succes. Good luck to you dear.

Jaun.C said...
on Dec. 15 2010 at 9:32 am
I am in 9th grade in high school in ELK GROVE HIGH SCHOOL.What a great article I like it it nice.I like this article because is a true story about your life.It also a nice story to tell about.I'm glad that you have accepted who you are and are who you are to celebrate your differences.I understand how life is it and how hard time you having in school with your classmates.GOOD LUCK

Patel D. said...
on Dec. 15 2010 at 9:31 am
What a great article! I love it. I like this article because is true story. Its so interesting. You don't care about other people said. You believe yourself. I'm glad to found someone that being harm all her life. And don't worry, that so many people who are same as like you. We have only SHINE OR LIGHT  

gabriella said...
on Dec. 15 2010 at 9:29 am
hi, I  am Gaby. I tell I have one friend, good friend with the same problem. She is very pretty and very intelligence, but the students in high school exclude for that. This girl no have friends but I realize together and together a very important lesson. you need be yourself because id you be you can help other people with have the same problem. I am sure you are pretty and good person. Not apparent are important you're really just. Person who exclude you and say is your friends, they are not because one good friend accepted you exactly you are and what you make for other person. My advice is to look a the bright side and see that you are very special. Be yourself always. I really appreciate you.

uttsav patel said...
on Dec. 15 2010 at 9:28 am
Hey i am uttsav patel. I know you are sufering from your overweight but man don't worry. I am almost with you but here so many people are come in our life and destroy our life so we have to do hard work for our life and so our goodness to people. One time I also sufer like you. when I come in United State school i don't no how to speak english so people make fun on me but i try to spek and now I know how to speak english. I work very hard for this and I get succes.

patelkeya said...
on Dec. 15 2010 at 9:25 am
It's my pleasure to have in high school. I like elk grove high school. when i was new in this school i was standout. but our indain people help me lot and than i was fitting in. but my first day in united state was to hard. my whole culture was change. but i enter a nice country. as a day pass in U.S i started to fitting in. i wish my whole life go with nice pleasure. have twinkle life.

Mrs. Pokorny said...
on Dec. 15 2010 at 9:01 am
I am a high school teacher.  From my own experience and from watching young people grow, I know high school is a difficult time.  Students try hard to fit in and find their place.  I am glad that you have accepted who you are and are able to celebrate your differences.  I just wish more students could.  As an adult, you will learn to love yourself for who you are even more, but there will still be negative people in the world.  Good luck!

susiecshell said...
ok I know you posted this comment almost two years ago, but I wrote this piece, and I knew those people. They drank. They did drugs, and now they are failing out of college. I knew them through the friends who were embarrassed by me, and its not like they kept what they did on the weekends a secret. They were proud of their actions. You're lucky that the "in crowd" at your school are/were people to be admired!

1COR13 PLATINUM, Anchor Point, Alaska

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimmi Hendrix

This is an awesome piece! Im very glad that you have realized that you are beautiful the way you are and that you made the statement about differences being celebrated. CELEBRATE DIVERSITY!

*earthmuffin*

karolekkk said...
I like this article because is realistic. It's interesting and true.

jjww said...
Iagree you. u dont have to care about the other people said. Just be yourself. The others will see your light.

Cowboy said...
on Jan. 31 2010 at 11:27 am
Well, I think she's not judgin them. Shes more sayin' that at her particular school, The 'in' crowd majority is those who act kinda stupid ta get attention. Makes sence. At your School it may be difernt but she aint talkin' 'bout your school, she's talkin' 'bout hers. At my school, the 'in' crowd is jist them guys who drink beer. At my sisters school it's girls who donate ta charity, sa it really depends.