Prison, Juvenile Detention Centers, or a New Life?

Everyone has their views on who’s an adult and who’s a child, some religions even have a ceremony to mark it. But what truly shows that you’re an adult? For juries and judges their judging kids from the age of 10 as adult and their ability to go to jail. Two authors show the thoughts on the matter, Jessica Wilde and Mike Hendricks. Both have an opposing idea on the matter of trying juveniles. Wilde believes that children can have the same motives as adults in many cases. She gives the example of two ten-year-old boys brutally murdering and a young two-year-old boy that had the unfortunate incident of walking away from his mother into the hands of two unwise, bloodthirsty ten-year-old boys. The boys’ only punishment was getting a new name and moving to a new land. Wilde strongly believes that children should be tried as adults. Oppositely Hendricks believes that children shouldn’t be tried as adults. He states that “Kansas forbids that you cannot get a tattoo until you’re 18, but 15- year- olds can get married if the judge allows it”(Hendricks 1) Both have supporting ideas and state the ideas clearly but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Children of a certain age should know right from wrong. A child at the age of ten should know that murdering a 2 year old is obviously wrong, bet yet their only punishment was to be sent to rehabilitation center and the given a new name and sent to a new town.
These to kids should have been punished more seriously. Now we have two murders out there that killed a child for fun and now they could hurt anyone else if they liked. Children can have the same motives as adults can and should be treated any differently because they are a little more immature. An adult defiantly could reciprocate what those boys did to that baby and the decision they made to do it, and an adult could have performed that. Children are just as much responsible for the actions as adults are.

Some people believe that children like Kearie Brown who allegedly shot a 16 year old when he caught her stealing his car should be sparred and let go (Hendricks 1). I defiantly do not agree with this. A 15-year-old girl shot another teen at point blank when she was caught steeling his car, and people believe she should be let go? Others say that they should be sent to rehabilitation and say that anybody can be fixed. What if a child doesn’t want to be fixed? A child should just get their punishment as an adult.

The crimes that children are committing are hurting families and causing pain. Children should be responsible for their action and no matter how old they are they should receive the punishment that they deserve. Yes, jail is a place for innocent children but it is a place for criminals, no matter what age. Children should be tried as adults in court.

Amie54321 said...
Feb. 8, 2010 at 7:36 pm:
Thanks,
I understand where your coming from.

SportyZo77 said...
Feb. 8, 2010 at 7:16 pm:
I am sorry, but I too have to disagree. Yes, murder is serious and should be punished for more seriously, a young child may not know what is right and wrong. Things such as parents not following rules or health disabilities may cause children to not know that they are doing something bad. Also, a child's mind is very delicate and if they are punished to badly their mind and imagination can decrease and cause them to grow up too quickly. What i mean by this is that, if a child say is tried f... (more »)

Amie54321 said...
Jan. 31, 2010 at 11:36 am:
Thanks for feedback:)

Jacksprak said...
I politely disagree. I find that, yes, in severe cases like murder for the heck of it should be held in an adulterated court. Though usually, the murderer of said crime with be found with a severe mental disorder. Yet, I find that in many cases, people need to realize, some kids just don't get crime and punishment. Should we bring the hard hand on these kids, or should we give them fair warning? Do we automatically punish for everything, or do we sit down like the civilized people we are an... (more »)

Amie54321 replied...
Jan. 31, 2010 at 11:38 am :
Thank you for your feedback.