Prison, Juvenile Detention Centers, or a New Life? | Teen Ink

Prison, Juvenile Detention Centers, or a New Life?

January 14, 2010
By Amie54321 SILVER, Houston, Texas
Amie54321 SILVER, Houston, Texas
5 articles 0 photos 9 comments

Everyone has their views on who’s an adult and who’s a child, some religions even have a ceremony to mark it. But what truly shows that you’re an adult? For juries and judges their judging kids from the age of 10 as adult and their ability to go to jail. Two authors show the thoughts on the matter, Jessica Wilde and Mike Hendricks. Both have an opposing idea on the matter of trying juveniles. Wilde believes that children can have the same motives as adults in many cases. She gives the example of two ten-year-old boys brutally murdering and a young two-year-old boy that had the unfortunate incident of walking away from his mother into the hands of two unwise, bloodthirsty ten-year-old boys. The boys’ only punishment was getting a new name and moving to a new land. Wilde strongly believes that children should be tried as adults. Oppositely Hendricks believes that children shouldn’t be tried as adults. He states that “Kansas forbids that you cannot get a tattoo until you’re 18, but 15- year- olds can get married if the judge allows it”(Hendricks 1) Both have supporting ideas and state the ideas clearly but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Children of a certain age should know right from wrong. A child at the age of ten should know that murdering a 2 year old is obviously wrong, bet yet their only punishment was to be sent to rehabilitation center and the given a new name and sent to a new town.
These to kids should have been punished more seriously. Now we have two murders out there that killed a child for fun and now they could hurt anyone else if they liked. Children can have the same motives as adults can and should be treated any differently because they are a little more immature. An adult defiantly could reciprocate what those boys did to that baby and the decision they made to do it, and an adult could have performed that. Children are just as much responsible for the actions as adults are.

Some people believe that children like Kearie Brown who allegedly shot a 16 year old when he caught her stealing his car should be sparred and let go (Hendricks 1). I defiantly do not agree with this. A 15-year-old girl shot another teen at point blank when she was caught steeling his car, and people believe she should be let go? Others say that they should be sent to rehabilitation and say that anybody can be fixed. What if a child doesn’t want to be fixed? A child should just get their punishment as an adult.

The crimes that children are committing are hurting families and causing pain. Children should be responsible for their action and no matter how old they are they should receive the punishment that they deserve. Yes, jail is a place for innocent children but it is a place for criminals, no matter what age. Children should be tried as adults in court.

The author's comments:
“Prison, Juvenile Detention Center, or New Life?” is the first classical argument I have written. I wasn’t very confident that I would receive a good grade. To prepare for this essay I read many sources and other websites but I had a difficult time supporting my ideas with these sources. I enjoyed finding the flaws in the other side of the argument and showing them why. I think I did great with coming up with arguments that stated my ideas, unfortunately I had a lot trouble with supporting them. If I could rewrite this paper I would make sure I had my ideas and supporting quotes before writing the paper, My peers say that it was a strong argument but not enough support. If I was grading this paper I would give myself a 80.